Average MPG in your non-t 240 wagon?

I am trying to plan a trip I have a 1986 non-turbo wagon with an automatic transmission and my odometer doesn't work so I wonder what your average MPG is over the road...

you could also recommend a repair shop for the odometer ...

Reply to
DL152279546231

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com by DL152279546231 dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

So at a low average of 20 mpg and $2.00/gal a 937 mile trip would cost $93.70. At a high average of 25 mpg and $2pg the trip would be $74.96.

for speedo repair:

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

I get up to 27 MPG in my '91 245 (5-spd trans), with myself, wife & boy in the car, loaded up w/vacation-type stuff, bikes on the roof, ~70MPH on the interstates. I would expect a couple MPG less w/an automatic (23-25). Your Volvo should enjoy the trip. Mine always likes a good long highway excursion. Did 1800 mi in 1 week once, to northern Maine & back, incl. lots of driving while up there. Car ate it up & asked for more.

If you do drive, be sure to have a few spare parts (e.g., v-belts, timing belt, ignition wires, plugs, cap, rotor) tools, and a recent tune up and fresh oil change, if for nothing else than for peace of mind. Check tires, don't forget the spare. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.

For speedo repair, there's listings in Hemming's Motor News in the Volvo section for Palo Alto Speedometer,

and Overseas Speedometer,
Have not used either, so I can't vouch, just noting the listings there.

MKL '91 245 5-spd

144,000 mi

Reply to
Mike Lenker

My 85 gets 24mpg.

Repair?? might be cheaper to go to a self service salvage yard and get the cluster from one of them. You can tell if it works by spinning the input with your finger, which will make the needle jump, and after about fifty or so spins the milage counter will advance.

My replacment for my 85 cost me $12.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Hoberg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe '86 and up speedos were electronic on 240's. I know my '91 is. Therefore, no input to spin. Still, junkyard or e-bay may be cheaper than repair. Surely worth a look.

MKL

Reply to
Mike Lenker

The cluster I have is a salvage yard unit. The first I had had the same problem. Guys in the NG have told me it is a simple repair, replace the nylon gears. If you know how... 1986 is an electric/analog unit BTW

Thanks

Also, still need to fix my air conditioner problem...

Reply to
DL152279546231

With '86 automatic, count on 21-23 loaded w/ good tires/proper trip/load inflation. Hope for 23-25. My experience is that sticks usually get 10% better.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

My mom has one of those, it used to average 25-26 mph highway when it was an automatic, it's got a 5 speed manual in it now and does a bit better, 27-29 mpg.

Reply to
James Sweet