B230F losing oil

Our constantly ignored but alway ticking 93 940 wagon is losing oil. I don't even know how much. It's my younger son's drive. Yesterday I asked hime to check oil. He had to add 2 qts. of Mobile 1 to top it up. But I don't see smoke comes out of the exhaust nor oil stains in the driveway. Where did it go?

Reply to
yaofeng

Mobil 1 is synthetic, correct? I am not sure about 1993, but I am told older cars have seals that were not made to handle the chemicals in synthetic oil. This means they can deteriorate and cause leaks.

If you see no leaks, the oil may be getting burned. Have you checked the spark plugs for carbon deposits? Do you see smoke from the exhaust? It is also possible the rings are bad and causing oil to be burned.

Oil doesn't evaporate, so chances are it's getting burned. Look for smoke.

yaofeng wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

If it gets burned, it does so in a slight way because as I said I don't see smoke.

Reply to
yaofeng

It is possible to burn oil and not see it. Try and get a rate of how fast you are losing oil. If you don't see smoke then it's probably a little at a time over time. Also, I am not sure what burning synthetic oil would look like.

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Check the condition of the rubber seal of the oil cap on top of the valve cover.

Reply to
zencraps

My experience with cars that have catalytic converters is that the oil burning has to be very high before smoke is seen; the converter will burn a lot of oil smoke off - at least a quart per 1000 mile.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Sometimes a rear oil seal will fail, but only leak at highway speeds. The oil may be scattered over the highway near your home.

Reply to
mj