basic engine testing.pdf

Hi,

I have been attempting to get started my nephew's 1993 850 glt non-turbo. It has fuel pressure at the bleed point but no spark.

Fuel pump operates okay - I can hear it pump up again after I bleed the rail.

It is at a location far from my house, so I can only go there once every few weeks and have a go at it.

Someone here - maybe Jarkka - referred me to a source of this document, which states it is for 1994 850, 940, 960 Turbo & non-turbo models. I think the 1993 should be similar, and I cannot find a 1993 document.

I have checked the oil level - it's okay.

On the 11th page of that 17-page document, there are some confusing instructions for testing the voltage on the ignition coil.

It seems to tell what the voltage should "NOT" be rather than what it should be. I get battery voltage on the red wire, and while cranking, I get about 10-11 volts on the blue wire. Does this mean the coil and power transistor are okay? What should this voltage be on a 1993 850?

The resistance in the crank sensor when removed from the engine is 440 ohms, so it should be okay, I guess.

What should I do next? I'm kind of at a standstill till I get some idea if the coil is okay.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Happy Trails

I forgot to mention - I got codes 214, 314, and 324 on socket A6 when I first read them, but these codes could have been there for a long time and not necessarily related to the present non-start condition - dunno!

After I cleared them and tried to restart the car, I only got code 111 ???!!

Reply to
Happy Trails

As no codes seem to be set after cranking i think we can rule out the Cam sensor (which is required for a start on this engine) but another favourite is the ign amplifier bolted to the coil.

Look for some primary switching on pin 2 of the connector at this, which is the signal from the ecu, and pin 5 carries the output to the coil which should both be present under cranking.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim

By ign amplifier are you referring to the round metal-cased electronic component that looks like a large power transistor soldered into the mounting bracket for the coil?

How do I identify which pins are which (2 and 5) on this component as the pins are not accessible without removing the component from its mounting?

Thanks,

- Tom

Reply to
Happy Trails