Battery life

How long do original equipment batteries typically last in a temperate climate, i.e., So. Calif. (so, no hard, sub-0 cranking, etc.)? Specific car: '01 2.4T. Given all the little motors and fans that run on this thing even when it's turned off, my guess is (a) the OE battery is heavier duty than you'd find in some other cars; and/or (b) it has to "work" harder than most. I checked with the Volvo service writer this morning, and he said some get four years, and they've seen some go four and a half. But, when it comes to batteries, you never know. I like to change them before the wife gets stuck somewhere. The savings from squeezing out another 1,000 miles, or month, or three, or whatever, from an old battery isn't worth the worry. We're at three years now. Recommendations?

Reply to
H. Whelply

temperate

3-4 years.
Reply to
Pete

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Changed mine last week, S80 2,9 -99. But I live in the cold northern country of sweden at the same latitude as Anchorage.

"H. Whelply" skrev i meddelandet news:i_TOb.16063$A74.10761@fed1read02...

Reply to
JohanE

IMHO the genuine Volvo batteries last far longer than anything else on the market for some reason.

'93 850- new battery required in '99. '97 S70 - Still on original.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

No offense... :)

'98 S70- original battery left me stranded* in '01, just over 50,000 miles.

Car started up fine, I drove a few miles to store, and when I came out the engine would not crank- not enough juice. I got it push started (manual transmission). No warning, battery worked perfectly up until that point, so I figure one of the cells must have completely failed during the short drive.

*I have booster cables, but push starting seemed easier at the time.
Reply to
Jim Carriere
[Jim Carriere] (Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:04:23 -0500):

Not recommended on new cars..

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

I have a 2000 (got it in Nov. of '99) S40 w/110,000 miles and the original battery. Started right up today and it was only 8 degrees out. If I would have thought about it before now, I probably would have replaced it before this winter.

Reply to
Steven Bernth

recommend you wrap your battery in a blanket during cold weather - like single digits temps and double digit wind chills. My battery crystallized and became useless during our recent cold snap here in Boston.

steve

Reply to
steve sedlis

My original 1995 850 Turbo battery lasted 44,000 miles and 2.7 years (Delaware, USA - we do have cold winters). First replacement (Delco maint free) lasted 2.7 years and 41,000 miles. Second replacement (Delco maint free) lasted 2.8 years and 40,000 miles. Current battery (Kirkland from Costco) just installed 2 months ago and doing well; it is half the price of a replacement from Volvo dealer or the Delco dealer and has a better warranty - 36 months free replacement, 100 month prorated replacement. Hopefully, it will last at least the 3 years of free replacement.

My wifes car, 1996 850 Turbo, original battery lasted 5.2 years and 28,000 miles. First replacement (Volvo dealer battery) lasted 2.8 years but had not yet failed after an additional 14,000 miles. Replaced proactively with a Kirkland battery, same as on the 1995, two months ago.

Reply to
Me

A new battery is not a fool proof option. Most batteries either fail soon after installation or at their normal end of life. Sears Die Hards have a rather large rate of early failure. The only fail-safe option is to get your wife a road service policy and a cell phone.

By the way, I have gotten 7 years out of an original equipment Volvo battery and only 1.5 years out of a Sears DieHard International battery with a 1-1/2 year full replacement limited warranty, 72 month limited warranty. We are having 0F weather but most batteries here die early in the summer when it is hot. If they die in the winter, it is usually because they are worn out.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen

The main difference between a 36 month battery and a 72 month battery is the distance between the bottom of the plates and the bottom of the battery. This determines how much crap can pile up below the plates before they short out. To gain space you need tighter tolerace plates which cost more, hence the higher cost for the same cranking capacity.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning