battery light

My 240 has been sitting in my driveway for 1 1/2 years. Just put new alternator, and new battery in it. The battery light is lit as soon as the battery is attached, and stays on without the key in the ignition. The alternator is not charging properly, but any reason the battery light would be lit without the key in the ignition?

Reply to
volvonator

Yes, the alternator is either useless or the wiring is incorrect. If it is the same type alternator as the original then you need to take it back and tell them it is duff and to replace it with another. The only other problem could be that the wiring has deteriorated in those 18 months.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

That will happen if there is a bad diode in the diode cluster.

Strong light? Grounding. It isn't wired correctly. I guess it could be the alternator, but since they actually are a component system that's like saying your car went bad.

I mean, you might get bad fuel, you might, but the hole in the tank is a much more likely reason you have problems. The alternator isn't doing anything unless the car is on.

This car has been sitting for about 500 days. Wires have cracked, corroded, rusted. 240s have one problem area, and one only - the wiring. You can keep replacing perfectly good alternators until you fiddle with the wire you need to fix to make it all work, or you can fix the wire. The metal will be fine after

500 days (brakes will be great), but electrical maintenance is the key to 240 longevity, everything else is along for the ride.

Stef

Reply to
Stef Caunter