Best 240 ?

Now that I have decided to buy a 240 , I need to know what is the best year. I have test drove 4 or 5 93s 240 with 60- 100K on them. If there are any better years to look for let me know. Thanks Dave

Reply to
davpatti

IMHO all 240s are good, although some of the older ones had some problems with wiring insulation crumbling. The 1993 would arguably be the best of the bunch, being the last version of the 240 and having had as many of the bugs ironed out as possible. I think you should just pick the one of those 4 or 5 that you liked best.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I think you are on the right track. We bought our '92 with 65K on it, and we're at 130K now. Great car! By '92 you get an airbag and maybe antilock brakes, plus they had the wiring harness "composting" problem figured out...

Out of curiousity, what kind of asking prices are you seeing on these cars?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Actually, IIRC, the harness was "fixed" in 1989 or 1990. ABS is a must, of course, though a turbo is really nice. I personally like the older pre-airbag turbo models myself. Square headlights and that classic hood :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I do prefer the pre-airbag models, but to get a turbo you have to buy an '84 or older, and the problem with that is that if it's for sale, it's probably a project. I love my 240T but it's been an ongoing restoration and that was starting with the nicest one I could find after 2 years of searching.

Reply to
James Sweet

Q: what year did they put airbags in the 940s? IIRC, they made 940 turbos for at least a decade longer than the 240 turbos, and both drive fairly simmilarly.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Early 90's I think. 700 and 900 drive very similarly, but both are quite different from a 240, they're different enough they could almost be different brands of car.

Reply to
James Sweet

I remember driving a ~1995 or so 940 and it was basically a "better"

240 in every way. Small, agile, and a nice updated interior.

Not built as well, IMO, as far as the body and so on, but a great choice if you really want a turbo.

I checked. 1995 was the last year for the 940. Of course, you have to deal with the automatic transmission.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Small? The 940 is larger than a 240 and neither are what I'd consider small. They're built comparably as well, the 940 is just more complex so there's more to go wrong, both provide a great ride but all other things equal are quite different cars.

Reply to
James Sweet