Best oil to use

What is the best oil to use in a 2002 V40 auto Transmission. I trust Mobil 1 motor oil, and believe synthetics are best. Would Mobil Synthetic transmission fluid be compatible, the Mobil site made it unclear to me.

Reply to
ransley

What type of fluid does the car specify? As I recall, there's just Type F and Dextron, the latter being more common. Synthetic versions of both are available, they may offer slight advantages if the car is driven hard or in very hot climates but for most drivers there will be little difference. One brand is pretty similar to the next, they all have to meet the same certifications. If the transmission is not performing correctly when filled with the type of fluid specified in the owners manual then something is wrong with it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I cannot speak from personal experience, but others have said good things about Redline.

&categoryID=8

Reply to
Mr. V
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That stuff was gimmicky, I read somewhere that the teflon in it was not only useless, but could build up and clog filters and other small particles. I think the advent of full synthetics pretty much killed it off.

Reply to
James Sweet