Beware car for Sale/Money Exchange Scam!!!

I posted my 93 Red 850 For Sale some time ago, on this newsgroup and was approached by a Person who claimed to be a Nigerian Philanthropist. I was asking $1600 for my car, so the Nigerian said he would send me $3500, and that I could donate the balance of the money to a charity of his choice.

He sent me a really nice looking check, it appeared to be a Payroll check from Bell Helicopter Textron Inc, with a JP Morgan Chase Bank crest on it, for $3500.

I deposited the check on a Wednesday Afternoon, and the bank teller told me that they would hold the check for two business days.

I Informed the Nigerian of this delay and he said it would be fine

He then provided me with the information below...

INFO WHERE BALANCE SHOULD BE REMIT TO VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER ...

NAME- DANIELLE SPENCER. ADRESS- 200 PARKVIEW LANE. CITY- IKEJA. STATE- LAGOS. COUNTRY- NIGERIA ZIP CODE.23401

SO AFTER YOU HAVE SENT THE MONEY YOU WILL BE GIVEN A 10 DIGITS MTCN(MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER) AND ALSO SEND THE QUESTION AND ANSWER TEST WHICH YOU WILL BE ASK BY WESTERN UNION....DONT FORGET TO GET EMAIL ME THE SENDERS INFO i.e YOUR INFO AND ACTUAL AMOUNT SENT,AFTER YOU DEDUCT SUM OF $1600 AND PAYING NECESSARY WESTERN UNION FEE. MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. SHIPPING AGENT WILL CONTACT YOU ON HOW SHIPPING ARRANGEMENT WILL BE MADE...

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON HAVE A GOOD DAY

NOTE:YOU CAN HAVE THE MONEY SENT DIRECTLY VIA WESTERN UNION...AND NOT CHECK...SO KINDLY SEND DOWN THE MONEY DIRECTLY AND GET BACK WITH THE NECESSARY INFO GIVEN TO YOU BY WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER....

As it turned out I had oral surgery that Saturday and spent the Sunday and Monday recovering from the extraction.

I did not go near the computer at all. On Tuesday I checked my email and bank account and noticed that the $3500 dollar check had been removed from my account, and I was charged a penalty of $10.

But all through the weekend the scammer was phoning me and emailing me asking me to send the balance of $1900 via western union money transfer to the address he gave me above.

Even though I only lost $10 dollars, I was very upset with the scammer! I felt like doing something illegal to him!

Just thought you ought to know.

Bob.

Reply to
dreevay

You or someone else posted something very similar a few days ago - so I suspect that it's just a troll.

If it *is* genuine - and if you were taken in by such an obvious scam - you deserve to lose more than 10 dollars!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills

You would do best do best to retain your comments in the folds of your decayed brain!

Reply to
dreevay

It's very common:

Andrew McKenna

I agree with Roger, anyone falling for that must be naive.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

I don't think it's *my* brain that's decayed!

Reply to
Roger Mills