BIG Trouble with '96 850 GLT

Not a good day. What appeared to be a simple flat tire on the left rear, turned out to be much more. Here I am, cruising along about 60 and I hear what sounds like I'm going over serations on the shoulder. About a mile later, I hear flapping, indicating something's come loose and/or a flat tire. Sure enough, I stop and I hear a loud hissing sound and the tire going down fast. Quickly, I zip into a State highway maintenance facility, so I'm off the road and I can change I tire if I need to.

Fortunately, I was with the mayor of the city, we called a city car to get us to a meeting and I left the car there. When I came back, they changed the tire and I fired up the car to leave, but heard a strange metallic sound, much like something was rubbing on a pully. And, as I was driving, every now and then, there would be an ever-so-slight reduction in power, then the engine would pick up again.

All was normal, until I stopped for gas. I shut the car off and noticed that the radio and lights were still on, despite the fact that I removed the ignition key. Hmmm. So, I restarted the car (didn't want to be stuck at a tollway oasis gas station 60 miles from home), and heard that muted metallic scraping sound again.

So, I start heading home, not going too fast - 70 mph or below, since I have one of those "space saver" spares on the right rear.

Enroute, from time-to-time, I start seeing almost all of the instrument warning lights illuminate momentarily and then extinguish. I also noticed that the temperature gauge is not working. The instrument lights start flickering on and off with greater frequency, as I keep on.

About 49 miles later, the engine loses power and starts bucking. I pull over to the side and try to keep the engine going, but it stops. Despite the ignition being turned off the radio and lights remain on. I start the engine again and it bucks and misses, then comes right back to normal power.

Now, I'm beginning to smell an alarming smell; kind of an acrid, almost sufuric acid smell. I keep going, as I'm only 10 miles from home, by now.

There's less bucking and heaving after I get off the expressway, but I'm still worried. Finally, I arrive at home, convinced I have a severe electrical problem.

I pull into the driveway, get out the tools and remove the positive battery cable from the battery. As I retrieve my items from the car, my flashlight beam cuts a swath through what is now a slightly smoke filled interior, which smells like a cross between a severe new car smell and boiling battery.

I'm not in a good mood. What gives?

Reply to
Dan Behr

Sounds like belt problems on the engine, if this belt also drives the water pump then you most likely destroyed your engine by continuing to drive, if the engine is still ok you certainly caused a lot more damage. It sounds like an idler pully had a bearing failure, the warning lights were coming on because the alternator was stopping, the smoke is burning rubber from the belts.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you find out please let us know.

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Here's what's known thus far:

1) #5 fuse (30 amp) to heater fan 4, keeps blowing. When I touch the contacts of the fuse to the terminal, the windshield wipers slowly begin to operate and then the fuse blows.

2) #31 fuse (25 amp) for heater fan positions 1-2-3 was blown, but I discovered that there was only a 15 amp fuse installed. I replaced it with the proper fuse and started the car. The blower fan did not work in any speed position. Numerous warning lights began dimly illuminating, flickered and then illuminated fully. Those warning lights are:

- SMS (air bag)

- windshield washer fluid low

- low fuel

- hand brake

- abs (brakes)

- hot engine (fan symbol)

- alternator (battery symbol)

- check engine

There are a couple of others, which I don't remember right now.

3) When I start up the engine, there is a rasping mechanical noise, which appears to be coming from either the alternator or the idler pulley (or both?)

4) The burnt smell in the passenger cabin seems to be burnt insulation of some form.

5) Belt is in place, in good condition and accessories appear to rotate freely, noting #3 above.

6) The temperature gauge is still not functioning

7) The electric fan blade (I think there's only one fan) seems to rotate freely

Any new ideas?

Dan Behr wrote:

Reply to
Dan Behr

The ignition switch on these cars is prone to failure and does so with all kinds of mysterious electrical strangeness symptoms. On my '96 850 the instruments began to work and not work at random times.

See if wiggling the key in the ignition switch modulates any of the behaviours.

Luckily the switch portion can be replaced without much difficulty. I used the directions found at:

Considering how often these seem to fail, the switch might be considered an automatic 75k mile maintenance replacement item. I have read that the weight of key chain the driver uses *might* correlate to the failure rate.

John

Reply to
John Horner