Biodiesel and Volvo S60 D5

Hi

I wonder if anyone on this group is using a S60 D5 on biodiesel, either

100% or some mix. If so, how has your Volvo reacted to it ?

The vehicle I'm considering using it with is a 2001 model, so well out of warranty.

Volvo say that a 5% blend is all that can be used, I wonder if there is any different experience around.

Thanks

Michael.

Reply to
Michael M0APC

I claim no special knowledge here, just curious what difference it makes where the fuel comes from, unless it's the additive package thats the key here....

Reply to
Steve

I am using 100% biodiesel in my 945 SE 2.4 Turbodiesel with no ill effects whatsoever. The 5% Bio mix allows the better lubrication of the fuel pump due to the ultra low sulphur diesel in use now. All the big fuel suppliers use 5% Bio (Shell BP Texaco Esso) for this reason. Good effects are much smoother running, improved mpg, slight increase in power noted. However my engine (VW/Audi six cylinder), although mechanically fuelled, has been tuned and puts out around 185 bhp with loads more torque than standard. I have a hard job keeping the speed down to 60 mph when towing my caravan on motorways. Unfortunately at the moment there is only one pump outlet in Wales until I can get my own producer equipment up and running. At present cost is 95p/Litre, when I make my own it will be around 32p/Litre. It is produced to standard EN 14214.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

You make it yourself?

How?

P.

Reply to
P.

Following the steps outlined in "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank" by Joshua Tickell. If you wish to find out all about Biodiesel fuels ( the first diesel ran on peanut oil) this is the definitive book. Or contact Sundance Renewables, the project manager is Jan Cliff. URL is

or e-mail snipped-for-privacy@sundancerenewables.org.uk They are based on the Capel Hendre Industrial Estate at Ammanford in Carmarthenshire Wales.All the best, Peter.