Blue Oil Clouds During Cold Periods from My V70 D5

Hello NG

Shortly after the delivery of my factory new V70 D5 (185 hp) in November 2005 I recognised that my D5 was exhausting huge coluds of burned diesel oil when I restarted the engine after short legs of let's say less than 2 km on cold winter days.

I contacted my Volvo dealer and he said that it is the additional heating system on the diesel engine causing this smoke. He also said the exhaust pipe is in the front right wheel well.

My questions:

  1. What is really happening?

  1. How does the algorythm work?

  2. Does this increase the fuel consumption significantly?

  1. I got the impression that the problem is well known, is this true?

Best regards, Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz