Bonnet / Hood alignment

The hood on my S40 is sitting slightly higher on one side (drivers side). Any idea how i can adjust this?

Reply to
Justin

There are almost certainly some slotted holes where the bonnet bolts onto its hinges. You need to slacken these, slide it in the desired direction, and then tighten them.

It's probably easiest to do with the bonnet in the fully upright position. If it's like my V70 there will be some catches on the side of the hinge which you can realease to move it beyond the normal fully open position. Check in your Driver handbook.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I meant to say.... it's sitting higher at the front... not at the firewall end where the hinges are. I can't see any way to adjust it?

Reply to
afr24x

I'm not familiar with the S40, since the only Volvos I do much with are

2-series, but in general, there will be rubber bumpers either on the underside of the bonnet or on the panel either side of the lock where the bonnet can sit on them.

On some cars, these were on the head of a bolt which could be adjusted up and down by loosening a lock nut on the bolt, adjusting the bolt and tightening again.

On most cars these days, the rubber bumpers have a screw thread in the rubber, and are adjusted up and down by simply screwing the rubber in and out.

Note that the bonnet catch may also require adjustment. If the bonnet is sitting too high because the catch is too high, it may not even touch the rubber. In this case, you may be able to press the high corner of the bonnet down to the right height and have the other front corner rise. If the bonnet catch is adjusted too far down, the bonnet cable may be tight and difficult to release and the bonnet may distort in the middle and require slamming to close.

Reply to
athol

The two snubber units have a screw adjustment. Screw them in and they will lower the bonnet. Also you may need to adjust the screwed rubber bumpstops to balance out any adjustment.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

ah yes.... you're spot on. What i found was that if i screwed the rubber up on the passenger side, it makes this side sit higher and the driver's side sit lower - positioning the bonnet perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Justin