Brake Failure Warning Light

I was parallel parked on the street last night while I ran into the post office. As I pulled out of the parking spot, my "Brake Failure" light came on, and stayed on the whole way home. The brakes seemed to work perfectly well. This morning when I started the car to go to work, the light flashed briefly, but then went off as soon as I touched the brakes and hasn't come on again. I'm giving the car to my brother-in-law in a couple of weeks, and it would be embarrassing if something major happened as he drove the car from my place in Chicago to his home in Michigan. My car is regularly maintained, and my mechanic hasn't mentioned the brakes needing any repair. Anyone know what this is about? Should I be worried?

Thanks, Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

The sensor is located on the left frame rail just below the bend. Pull thr rubber boot back from the switch. If you see fluid the switch is bad.If not, the proportioning valve just got off center causing the light to come on, It's a common problem and nothing to be worried about.

Reply to
Rod Gray

At the risk of being exposed for what I am (a know-nothing), where's the frame rail, and the bend in what?

And thanks for the reassuring response.

Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

First, check the brake fluid reservoir. If level is fine go to #1. If level is low then go to #2.

  1. If the brakes work but the pedal keeps traveling after you stop then it's probably your master cylinder.

  1. Top up the fluid and monitor, driving at low speeds to test. If the brakes work but the pedal travels further than normal but STOPS then there is a leak in either a brake line or a caliper. For safety reasons there are two brake lines running together, each one brakes both front wheels and one rear (so if you lose one brake line you still brake on 3 wheels). The braking to all four wheels is balanced through this system by a Pressure Differential Valve which can also fail and leak. A leaking brake line or calliper can pump out all of its fluid in a matter of minutes but the PDV can leak slowly and let air into the system.

And, of course, it could just be faulty wiring triggering the warning light.

All of the above are brake problems I have had (replaced master cylinder, calliper, and PDV) and I'm sure there are more suggestions coming. You might try putting a large piece of cardboard or paper under your car (or park on a nice clean driveway) and let it sit, then idle it, pump the brakes, etc. and then move the car to see if you have any leaks and where and what they are.

Good luck. blurp

On 09 Jun 2004 14:53:30 GMT, the illustrious snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (PButler111) favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Follow the brakelines down from the master cylinder. The two lines go into a brass block about the size of a pack of cigaretts. There four lines leaving going to each wheel. They are split, left front right rear, right front left rear. If any caliper or line gets a leak, you still have brakes on both sides of the car to prevent the car snapping around. It will still brake in a straight line. The switch is on the bottom of the proportioning valve. Pull the rubber boot back and check if it is wet. If it is the switch is leaking fluid.You can replace the switch, but sometimes you have a problem bleeding the brakes so that the switch comes back to center position so that the light will go out.

Reply to
Rod Gray

While I appreciate your confidence in my mechanical abilities, I assure you it's entirely misplaced. I'll tell my mechanic, though. Thanks!

Reply to
PButler111