Brake pads - which are best?

Hi Folks

When I bought my '98 V70 from a small dealer they put all new brakes on the front ... but the pads have been squeeling really bad ever since - as is, a couple of months now! Always at low speed, e.g., 3 mph, or so. I assume that the dealer (not a Volvo dealer - just a used car lot) put on the CHEAPEST pads they could find.

Anyhow - I had a local garage attempt to lessen the noise by chamfering the edges of the pads ... and it helped a bit, but it's still squeeling.

So - I figure I just need to get better quality brake pads.

What do you all recommend/prefer? Volvo OEM ... or other?

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Pads are only one part of the equation.

You can probably eliminate the squeeling by installing the shims that are supposed to be behind the pads, with the lubricant that's supposed to be applied to them. Cheap pads are usually just responsible for more dust and a shorter life; without the shims and lube, OEM Volvo pads can squeel just as bad.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

"Allan Shearer" wrote in news:x50ke.79$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I have always used Volvo pads and have not been disapointed. I want the braking to be consistant. I don't want surprises particularly when braking. Original pads can be had for a more reasonalbe price that you local dealer if you search a bit and have time for delivery.

Doing this change yourself?

Also read this

Some pad absorb water to the point of causing a real time delay in speed reduction. I don't want any part of that kind of thing myself. At 60MPH you travel

176 ft in 2 seconds, then you start to slow down and travel another 120 to 150 ft to actually come to a stop. I never expect to have that much time or distance in an urgent braking situation.
Reply to
newtovolvo

I've got PBR pads (bitting against Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors) on my Golf TDI, and the braking in general and in rain is better then our other Golf (a 2.0L with stock VW parts) and the Volvo (a 960 with Volvo original replacement parts - new front rotors and pads, original rear rotors and new pads)... I found in the rain the Volvo stopped roughly the same, but the VW's both had a delay with factory equipment - I would say it's my drilled rotors allowing water to drain, but I can't complain about the pads, they are terrific... tho they might not be the exact same ones in that writeup... I'm sure PBR makes more then one formulation for its pads.

The PBR pads squealed at low speeds for the first 6 months of ownership tho - my mechanic told me it was normal, to give them some more good firm stops because they were still seating with the rotors (he did put on the quieting grease)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

more often times than not the squealing is from glazed rotors see if yours are mirrorlike and if so have em turned a hair

Reply to
bob

Thanks very much for that and for the link too. VERY enlightening!

Indeed, I would prefer original Volvo parts ... if they come in a blue VOLVO box, I'm happy. :)

Thing is - as I search the internet I keep finding people selling OEM Volvo parts, but they also have other brand names on 'em. Only if they show close-up pics of them with VOLVO stamped on them and/or show the actual packaging will I trust that I'm getting true Volvo stuff.

I'm not even sure if my local (Montreal) VLVWORLD.com is selling original Volvo parts (well - everything else appears to be, but the brakes I'm not sure of).

Thanks again!

Allan

... and newtovolvo spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Hi Gary

Thanks for the response. Indeed, I too wonder if the shims/lubricant were not actually overlooked when the pads were installed.

But alas - I don't have the shims myself. So, replacing the pads AND getting them installed correctly is on my agenda.

Thanks again.

Allan

... and Gary Heston spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Hi Bob

I thought it might be the rotors being TOO glazed/smooth ... that's what it sounds/feels like at the time. But, I took a look with the methanic yesterday and they look normal. Not overly shiny and not at all mirror-like, but instead perfect! Just as you'd expect rotors to look. So, we decided not to turn them (and of course, they're only 2 months old ... so that seemed like the right/logical conclusion).

Thanks again, Bob.

Allan

... and bob spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Next time don't let them forget the shims for the backs of the pads and a little "Copper-Ease" on the sliding parts. I use Mintex pads and shoes (handbrake).

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

[ ... ]

If you can look into the parts storage area at your local Volvo dealer, you'll notice a lot of parts don't have Volvo markings on them. Bosch will show up quite a bit, as will others.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I can recommend EBC Red Stuff pads as being very good... extremely fade resistant and with tremendous bite when stopping at motorway speeds. Also look at Pagid (they make the pads for Volvo apparently). I don't recomment EBC 'spotties' discs as having tried them on two cars so far they have a habit of causing massive amounts of judder....

Reply to
AB

Don't use cheap pads.. they'll squeak like hell. Use Mintex or Volvo pads. I think I've heard that most cheap shops use PBR... they squeak.

Reply to
Boll Weevil

I just installed a set of KVR carbon fibre pads on my 760. They are semi-metallic, and they are terrific so far.

cheers

RS

Reply to
Rusty

I need a brake job on my 965, and I was wondering the same thing. What about ceramic brake pads: are they any good? Has anybody tried them? geotek

Reply to
geotek