Brake replacement question on 95', 850 Turbo

I had my breaks inspected and was told I need new pads and rotors. Is is possible to have new pads installed without the rotors being changed at the same time? I'd like to install new pads now and new rotors in another

1000 miles. If it's possible, would it be safe?
Reply to
850TURBOpbp65

Normally, yes. If any of the pads completely wore down so the metal backing hit the rotor (you would hear a lound metallic grinding when you pressed the brakes) that rotor will be in bad shape and will wear the new pad quickly. Otherwise, rotor replacement is mainly a precaution. When the rotor wears too much it can break, but there is a wide margin between specified minimum thickness and the danger point.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It is possible, but it is like pi??ing in the wind. Sometimes the rotors are what is destroying the pads, especially if the pads destroy the rotor first. The best way to save money on brake maintenance is to not follow too closely, slow down before braking by looking several cars ahead, and replace worn parts before they destroy other parts. I keep my Volvo's for 180,000 miles and seldom ever replace brake parts, but always replace them when they first need it.

Dragging the brakes by leaving you foot on pedal and high speed braking will kill brakes quickly. By slowing down before curves, long down grades, when cars far in front of you are slowing, and not following too close, you seldom have to use the brakes. My goal is to never use my brakes unless I am going to come to a complete stop. [end soap box]

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Provided the discs (or rotors, if you insist!) are not worn below the minimum permissible thickness, and are not badly scored or running out, it is perfectly feasible to replace just the pads. With any luck, the discs should last through at least two sets of pads.

However, if you're going to replace the discs 1000 miles later, there's not much point in not doing it while everything is apart - particularly if you are paying labour charges for someone else to do it. [If it's a D-I-Y job, it's not quite so bad, but even so, 1000 miles . . .]

I changed all the pads and none of the discs at 40,000 miles on my 1999 V70 - and am expecting to have to change pads *and* discs at 80,000.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Reply to
John Robertson