Brake rotor life ?

Hi

Looking at my '99 V70 (70,000 km), I noticed that the front brake rotors have quite a bit of wear (1 to 2 mm thinner, or thereabouts) and it's quite noticeable when comparing them to the rears (hardly worn at all).

How long are they supposed to last, and how much more will they take? Is it a regular (i.e. 5 or 6 year) wear part, or do they last much longer ?

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Half a Bee

If you take the wheel off, you will see the minimum thickness stamped on the central part of the disc (rotor). As long as they exceed this, and are not unduly scored or warped, stick with them!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I typically get 2 sets of pads to one rotor both front and rear .... front rotors go 35k to 70k miles on my 850's depending on ratio of city to highway driving and rear rotors go 50k to 90k.

Reply to
Me

Make that 35k to 50k for PADS, and 50k to 90k for PADS (sorry for the goof where I said rotor instead of the PADS that I meant).

Reply to
Me

Pretty much the same for me (S70, same brakes as the 850). Rear pads lasted

55k miles, original fronts still on there just past 90k.

I downshift when I brake (heel-and-toe... manual transmission... yay!), and this helps the brakes last longer. Also, almost half of my mileage so far is highway.

I know the rotors will last two or three sets of pads, but I like to replace them with the pads anyway, since they're scored and rusty at five or more years old. That's just my preference, and it isn't too much more expensive since I do my own work.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Reply to
Rob Guenther

When I had taxis I used to heat up the discs if they had warped and then let them cool down slowly as often drivers had punished the brakes then stopped and switched off while they were extremely hot,so they warped.When I needed to have the rotors machined (which was very rarely) again I would hot them up cool them down slowly then have them machined as this removed the grain effect ,otherwise as soon as newly machined rotors heated up they would warp if cooled down slowly back to their old grain or shape ,or just buckle again if left hot .When buckled the machined took off the highs making all level but the lows became highs when heated up again .Hope this make sense as it saved me many dollars from sometimes greedy mechanics .ALWAYS USE QUALITY BRANDED PADS AS CHEAP PADS COST and are not as safe ..And change your brake fluid to at least a quality branded type every 2 years or so ..

Reply to
John Robertson