Break replacing on XC90

Hello all, I have 5% left on my pads and need to replace them. I have been quoted at $1100 with parts and labour and found that to be expensive... The parts are original Volvo so I'm sure that adds a premium, does anyone have experience or opinions about non OEM breaks ? also are there other places to get these parts cheaper ?

thanks !

Reply to
GS

Figure this Front Pads $90.00 Front Rotors $95.00 X 2 Labor $157.50 Total Front Brakes $437.50

Rear Pads $70.00 Rear Rotors $90.00 X 2 Labor $157.50 Total Rear Brakes $407.50

Total Cost Before Tax $845.00

Front Pads & Labor $170.00 Rear Pads & Labor $150.00 I do not know what else you were quoted but the above prices are what a dealer whould charge for the repair If you could let us know what exactly you were told then I may be able to give you a better estimate of the repairs Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

need to replace them. I have

Glenn, that makes sense but the quote I got (not from the dealer) also included calipers at $300... I didnt ask why, probably due to shock, but I have an appointment at the dealer who didnt think calipers would be necessary.. they also have the parts so its a quick fix at around $300+, would there be a need for new calipers on a 04 Volvo ?

Reply to
GS

Brake pads vary from $53.90 to $70.65 for a front set and $40.26 to $53.50 for a rear set, depending upon material and the rotor size:

Rotors are $80 or $89.95 for front (depending on size) and $78.96 for the rear (each rotor):

Rotors should not need replacing unless they're badly worn or warped.

If they're not leaking or stuck, calipers should not need replacing more than once every 10 - 15 years.

The one specialty tool you'd need is less than $5 (brake pads link) and the grease to prevent noise is also less than $5, same place.

If you replace the rotors, there is a maximum torque spec on them--if that's exceeded (i.e., impact wrench on maximum) the rotors will warp quickly.

You're welcome.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

need to replace them. I have

No there is no need to replace the calipers on a 2004 XC90 also what is the delivery date on your car if purchased anytime in 2004 & less then 50K miles the calipers if faulty should be under warranty I have been repairing these cars since day 1 & have never replaced a caliper yet Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Glenn,

I don't mean to hijack the breaks thread but I had posted this earlier hoping you would respond ;)

103,000 miles, engine has developed a "surge" while accelerating. Sometimes it will go nice and smooth, others it will speed up, die-off, speed up repeatedly while accelerating. New plugs about 12,000 miles ago, injector cleaner "Sea Foam" through the fuel tank about 5 fill-ups ago. That seemed to help a little but it is right back doing the same thing again.

Does this car have a wastegate that needs to be lubed? It feels like the turbo is spooling up and down. Any suggestions will be appreciated, I am not really wanting to go to the dealer having just plunked down $800 for a timing belt change.

Reply to
Allen

Have you had Recall 155 performed Electronic Throttle Software Upgrade this usually takes care of a uneven idle or there could be other problems the only correct way is to have any DTC'S read from the car G Klein

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Thank you for responding Glenn! I just had the timing belt changed

Reply to
Allen

Without actually road testing the car it sounds like the ETM=Electric Throttle Module may be going south this is covered under warranty until

200K miles Glenn K
Reply to
Glenn Klein

Thanks again Glenn, I guess it is another trip to the dealer. I appreciate your help!

Reply to
Allen

No Problem Post the results when you find out

Reply to
Glenn Klein