Broken tailgate hinge on 92 240

Hi,

The right tailgate hinge just broke on my 92 240. Is the hinge itself replaceable or do you need a whole new tailgate?

That being said, what range of model years will provide an acceptable replacement hinge or tailgate?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
moon161

Paul Clark

The hinge is replaceable and is not a difficult job.Prop the tailgate open and have another prop to put under the corner you are removing the hinge from.The rooflining unclips to let you into the screws.I have only had them of to replace broken wiring but it wasn`t difficult. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

I just did a hinge replacement in an '85 245 and figured out the following neat trick:

Instead of propping up the liftgate with an object that could get unstable or be knocked down, I ran a rope from one garage door track down under the opened liftgate, then I tied it on the opposite door track.

Reply to
zencraps

Were you able to get at the screws holding it to the tailgate? The tailgate side is broken and I'll be replacing that half of the hinge.

Reply to
moon161

You will in all likelihood be replacing the entire hinge, not just one half.

But yes, I got to it, it's accessible; IIRC, push back the rubber trim to get access on the liftgate; as another poster said, peel back the headliner in the rear of the car to access the bolts on that end: the wires can unplug and it is really not too difficult to repair.

Reply to
zencraps