Buying a 1999 S80

H, I am new here. I am at the final stage of purchasing a 1999 S80 with 55K. Have been reading some reviews and noted that there are some concerns on the reliability of the vehicle. Any advices from the owners here?

Any major servicing coming up (60K include timing belt and if yes, how much am I looking at?)

Thanks Eng Soon

Reply to
Eng Soon

don't pay > 10k for it......start a repair fund and keep at least 5k in it..... this year was a "learning year" @ volvo....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Eng Soon

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

yea...they look nice, drive nice...but owning one for a few years is a different story....it seems like they are getting better and better...they should be "ready to go" in a year or two....ie: bugs worked out...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

Seems quite reasonable.

Reply to
SMerck

I just sold my 1999 S80, actually traded it in for an XC90T6. I had 122000km and the car has not had any major problems. Except now it needs a new computer ~ CD$1,000 in repair cost. The only problem I have had is that the heated mirrors have never worked properly.

Otherwise a very good car and I got CD$17,500 in the trade against the new car. BMW or VW would only give me CD$14k in trade against their SUV's.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Jafs

i would walk from that deal...watch eBay and see what the s80's are going for... imho

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I bought a s80 200O Turbo in April with 34,000 miles. No problems, runs like a dream. Talked to the previous owner who had sold it back after lease expired and who had kept it properly maintained/garaged.

Reply to
MAtzori

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

I have a '99 S80 twin turbo. You can spin the front wheels from a dead stop but no turbo lag. I like the ride. As for the reliability ....

Reply to
Paul

No lag, paid $22,000 for it in April and the dealer put new brakes, new 17" tires, serviced it, etc. Did not buy it from a Volvo dealer.

Reply to
MAtzori