buying a used S90 (1998) with 100 K

I am thinking about buying an used car with one owner. What kinds of things should I look for that might be a problem? I don't see any significant repairs and the belts look new. Thanks, ron

Reply to
Ron Kirschner

The most trouble I had with my pre-Ford Volvos were electrics - the

760's lighting related wiring became erratic at times, and rubber (specifically door seals and worn out hoses). In respect to the latter, it is not a good idea to buy a car that's been driven in Singapore for a few years, that climate seems to really get to the rubber. The 850 also had a cooked lightswitch, and a blown coolant hose took out the abs unit and the oxygen sensor - gah!

So what I'd do if I were to buy a Volvo of that vintage again is: I'd get someone to really check all the rubber, not just the belts, to prevent disasters (like a few litres of water getting dumped into my wife's lap in a carwash in the 760, or the domino effect from the blown coolant hose). Can't really find impending faults with the electrics until they actually fail.

My post Ford-Volvo has given a bunch of very expensive trouble, to the point where I've flicked it in disgust and changed marques with my current transport (and I had not thought I'd ever be driving a VW again!). But you should be safe in that regard. Ford bought Volvo in '99. We still retain our old V70 though ... it just soldiers on. Keeps losing water and nobody can figure out where or why, but it goes and goes.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner