Buying Advice on 1995 Volvo 940 2.3 liter turbocharged wagon

I am looking at a 1995 Volvo 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Tubo charged station wagon with supposedly 61000 miles. Consumer Reports says there have been more problems with; engine cooling, transmissions. electrical, and braking. I would appreciate advice on this vehicle as to:

  1. Problems experienced?

  1. Problems specific to; engine cooling, transmissions, electrical, and braking?

  2. Is the the turbo more trouble than it is worth, early failure or making repairs more complicated? Should one go for a non turbo 4 cylinder?

  1. Does this have a in-tank fuel pre-pump?

  2. Is the heater core positioned like the 240's making it expensive to replace?

  1. What should one check during a test drive?

  2. What should one have your own mechanic check prior to purchase?

  1. What is the value of this vehicle, Kelly blue book is much higher than Edmunds and other price sites. Ebay is lower still?

  2. Living in a snow area, is this car decent in snow? Should one look at an 850 instead, although I've heard they have problems in the early years also?

  1. I think this has a timing belt, what is the change interval for this engine?

  2. Does this vehicle handle well in emergency situations, I beleive it is equiped with dual airbags and ABS brakes?

  1. I'm on a budget but am looking for a safe dependable car which I can maintain myself. This car has rust on the brake rotors and when I asked the dealer when it was last test driven, they said probably at least a month, which I take to mean not much interest in it.

Thank you for any advice you post or refer me to.

Reply to
howard

These consumer reports are rubbish, Volvo's don't go wrong enough for them to collect any useful data. I think they just ask a bloke down the pub.

I have a UK 1995 2.3 SE Turbo (194BHP or 230+ with a small mod) Estate/Wagon with 114,000 miles. Manual with no AC.

Nothing serious

-Sunroof drains leaking because tubes were too big

-Plastic Clutch pedal and master cyclinder linkage wears reducing clutch travel

-Alarm occassionally doesn't switch off due to bad contact on aerial or something, works close up but usually ok at 50m or so. Happened last winter, but not this year so far.

-Incorrect tow bar fitted by previous owner, exhaust modified (by turning rear box upsidedown) and hits suspension.

-Heater valve entry distorted due to overtightening of hose clip, causing heater to not fully turn off.

-Drive shaft suffering slightly from power increase, think it needs a new UJ or support bearing.

-Cam leaks oil vapour into distributor cap causing hesitation, typical of cam end distributors (someone should ban them).

Turbo is great, yes more complicated, maybe will need replaced at high milage, but can be done for a reasonable sum. Mine still fine. Change the oil regularly and use synth oil. Turbo is water cooled so that helps with reliability and cool down.

I think so.

I don't know where the 240s is but it looks easy to replace.

It works? at 61K it should be a showroom mint car, engine and suspension should be smooth and tight.

A bit of everything, maybe special attention to drive and turbo being high powered. Check electrics, motors could seize up with low usage, especially rear windows and sunroof.

In the UK it would go for about GBP2500, but US probably much higher.

RWD is not as good in snow, but if you're in a snow area you need studded tyres anyway. RWD works fine then.

940 is an older but more robust design, younger 850s looks as aged as the same age Ford.
80,000 I think, can go longer but probably not worth the risk, breaks are rare even then.

ABS has saved one kid who chased a ball across a road in front of me. Think its just one airbag, but also has SIPS and seatbelt tensioners and good anti neck damage head rest (recently highlighted in UK). Volvos are almost always better than other cars of the same age safetywise, Merc's have been judged better occasionally.

Give him a really low offer, you're in a good position. In fact I would offer to take it away as is/ trade or what you do in the US to not have a guarantee, pretend you're a trader, should be half price. As long as the body work is good, mech problems can always be fixed. I had to buy mine privately as all the trade ones were snapped up very quickly. Its a doddle to look after, I had to sort a few fiddly things as above, but mainly just service items, disks, pads, shocks, oil filter, tyres in 2 years and about 35K and those are mainly my choice to tighen things up, rather than absolutly required.

-- Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Reply to
Tony Stanley

Reasonably driven, the Turbos last almost forever, while non-Turbo Volvo do last forever. My Turbo is a 1984, badly worn, I am the 14th owner according to the official records. In spite of this I would rather not part with it! I installed new shocks (after 200 K miles!) and on the highway it runs great. If you need to pass a truck, just do it! Tows a heavy trailer like nothing.

Yes, and also a second pressure pump, located below the driver's seat.

Different design. The 240s have heating in center of car. 740/940 in front o passenger. Supposedly less tricky, but under-dash work is not my favourite.

I would listen for strange sounds or vibrations, from worn transmission (if car abused).

If the turbo concerns you, you could check for excessive oil in the intercooler (assuming yours has one). Large amounts of oil there indicates a worn turbo unit. Other than that, just standard checks.

If you like rear wheel drive, it is OK in snow. Have to be more careful with the gas foot than in non-turbo of course.

It does have one. Interval is 80 000 km /50 K miles. Easily replaced!

Included with Volvo's famous "safety thinking" are oversized brakes (in my opinion). I alse live in snow/moist/salt country. If you drive reasonably the brakes never heat up in winter and as a result the rotors get rusty and the hand brake parts fail. In Sweden those parts are cheap, so you will replace them a few times during the life span of the car. If you live in Death Valley the brakes are perfect!

Buy it and enjoy!

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman