C70 Gripes anyone?

I have a 740GLE with ~200K miles, and it has sustained abuse that I wince to even mention. No other car I've ever owned has given so much and asked so little.

I fell in love with the lines of the C70 when it first came out. Now that prices on the 3rd model year are down from the stratosphere I am considering getting one. I am a bit concerned however. I have read a few gripes on epinions and a few other places that basically describe this car as a basket case. The chief issues seem to be with the suspension, wheels, electrical components and crappy dealer support.

I've walked into my local dealer once or twice a little greasy from working on bessy to get parts. I have to say that I got less snob attitude from the Benz dealer (had a 1979 240D too). So is the dealer thing true? I wouldn't buy a another BMW, and my general impression is that Volvo seems to be migrating towards BMW by making ever more high strung cars. Anyone else notice this trend? Personally I like cars where owners brag about _high_ miles, not the other way around.

Now I will probably shoot my foot anyway, as I am really not that smart. But I would like to hear any and all gripes about the C70 particularly the 2000 model year that anyone has to offer. I have a good mechanic (who fixes what I break :-) but I would still like to know what problem areas to keep an eye on, and what parts to keep on the garage shelf. BTW, my independent Volvo mechanic has also warned me off the C70. I think the phrase he used was: "one day I am going to take a vacation to sweden and slap the shit out of some engineers". But he talks that way normally, so it is hard to tell exactly what he meant. :-)

If VW can resurrect the Beetle, why not Volvo and the 240? Matt

Reply to
shrike

Sounds like you just need to find the right dealer. :) I know I we are NEVER snobby to any of our customers, but then again, we are family owned.

I think you chould consider waiting about a month or two to buy a used c70 until the 2006 hard top convertable comes out before you make your purchase (we're getting our first one in 3/11) . Everybody with older c70s will be trading them in to get the newest hotest thing, so you can probably get a better deal.

Buying a 2000, it will be difficult to find one certified, so you might want to consider a 2002-2003, the extra two years wont save you that much money, but may save you a lot of headache.

~Rachael at Martens Volvo of DC snipped-for-privacy@martenscars.com

Reply to
rachael.partain