C70's flam trap for 600$ ???

Hi, I had a problem with mi Volvo C70 coupe 2000 and during the check routine at the local Volvo dealer, it turned out that the flame trap is clogged and it leaks. To fix the problem, the estimated cost is 600$ Now, I tried to figure out what's the flame trap for and how the part costs. I checked on the web and I could not find a "flame trap" for the C70. But I found it for other Volvos and typically is a 5-10$ part. I assume that the same part (maybe with another name) for my C70 cannot be much more expensive than that... I also understood that changing the part is not a "1-minute" work but for an experienced tech, it should take no more than 1 hour. Bottom line... 600$ ???????????????????????? Am i missing something here, or maybe they are simply trying to rip me off ???

Thanks in advance

Reply to
MTED

Well, I don't know from C70's but that's a scary little bugger on my

245. It plugged once, pushed the cam seal out, and pumped three quarts of oil out the front of the motor in about ten miles...

It is a $10.00 part and a ten minute fix on a 240 though.

Reply to
clay

It is called a oil trap you have to remove the intake manifold to access & to replace what check was the car in for recall 155 ETM ? Glenn Klein Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Thanks Glenn and all,

the car was in because I had problems with the ETS light intermittently on/off. The biggest problem was that the car would act in a very sluggish way accelerating, for example after a stop, or just after switching gears. Every time, when poshing the pedal, the engine would have 1-2 seconds esitation and after that it would accelerate normally. Anyway, they diagnosed a faulty accel pedal sensor that I'm going to change very soon. But also they "suggest" to fix this flame trap problem but it looks very expensive to me and I'm not sure about. Is it important ? Is it really a 600$ job? Thank you again

Reply to
MTED

This is the main reason you are having problems with the ETM this is a common problem the only correct repair is to replace the oil box & clean the openings in the engine block. The choice is yours if the oil box becomes completely clogged then you will start to develop oil leaks from the engine you can have this repair done @ the dealer or ask around for a outside repair shop that performs repairs on Volvo's. As for the $ amount I can not say if it is on the high side or on the low side until I return to work on Monday then I will check for you Glenn Klein

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Thanks Glenn, I really appreciate your interest and I look forward to have your input. Not being a tech I did not get the problem and i thought that the ETS light on was a simpton of the fact that the ETS was having problem communicating with the broken pedal sensor and not because the oil trap. Thanks again

Reply to
MTED

ETS = Electronic Throttle System ETM = Electronic Throttle Module

Reply to
Glenn Klein