Can't identify engine from VIN

Hi all,

I've done some online research into finding engine information from my

1989 740 GLE's VIN plate but, presumably because it's a UK car, it's not found by the VIN decoding sites I know of. The problem seems to be that instead of letters after the YV1 prefix it has numbers.

Would anyone be able to identify the engine for me from the VIN? It's YV1744845K2357981

Many thanks,

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Sure thing Mungo, it is a B230E. It also has the ZF4HP22 auto gearbox, it's model year is also 1989 and it was made at the Ghent (Belgium) factory. Your

740 GLE is a saloon (sedan) model. If you want the information on how to reveal this information drop me an e-mail and I will provide you with the decoding details.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

If you use the standard VIN system as used in North america, and decipher it backwards, it would mean:

YV1744845K2 357981 ^ chassis number 357981

YV1744845K 2 357981 ^ made in Belgium

YV1744845 K 2357981 ^ 1989

YV174484 5 K2357981 ^ check number

YV17448 4 5K2357981 ^ 4 door

YV174 48 45K2357981 ^ B21LH Jet

here's where it gets wonky:

YV1 74 4845K2357981 ^ possibly no safety info is listed in the VIN, and these digits mean that it is a 740 (?).

YV1 744845K2357981 ^ well, at elast we know it's a Volvo! ;-)

I have no idea if this is accurate at all just using the US VIN decoder...

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Thank you. Emailed.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thank you, Randy. The engine code you found was the same one I thought it was, having looked at a couple of VIN decoding sites, but because of the numbers-instead-of-letters coding it's actually the wrong one. As you might have seen in Peter's reply it's actually a B230E, but I do appreciate your reply and the explanation of what all the numbers mean.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Back in those days, the US/Canada VINs were different than the "rest of the world". I believe that they standardized on the US/Canada type VIN with the advent of the 850 (900 series continued on with the difference until end of production.)

So a VIN starting YV1744845: YV1 = Volvo

744 = 740 series sedan (4 door) 8 = B230 4 = "E" 5 = ZF4HP22 (transmission)

Would be in US/Canada YV1FX844X: YV1 = Volvo F = 740 series X = Seat belts (A = Driver airbag)

8 = B230 4 = "E" (Of course there were no B230E engines in US/Canada so this is impossible) 4 = 4 doors X = check digit, calculated from other digits. (Can be X or 0-9)

The rest of the VIN is the same.

Reply to
Mike F
Reply to