Can't locate S70 front-end rattle

After two attempts, my local Volvo mechanic hasn't found the source of a front end rattle coming from the passenger side of the car when driven over moderate bumps. Front struts and mounts have been replaced and new sway bar links have been installed. Nothing in the engine compartment appears to be loose. What the hell is causing the rattle?

Reply to
Armchair observer

When the Mechanic replaced the front struts and mounts, did he replace the plastic top spring seats? I replaced the struts on mine, and also replaced the top mounting which bolts to the inner wing (rotary part), and the rattle was still present. It turned out that the bush in the centre of the top spring seat had broken, and was allowing the strut to rattle up and down slightly. This is quite difficult to spot. You have to look for the bonding on the rubber bush failing. These spring seats cost about £20 from the main dealer, and require stripdown of the strut to replace. Not difficult though. I really don't mean to doubt your mechanic's abilities or eyesight though!! Hope to help. Joe Landy. Peterborough UK. V70 TDI 244,000 Miles. p.s Email me at joelandyman postmaster.co.uk All E-mail to my NTLworld address gets deleted.

Reply to
Joe landy

The mechanic showed me three parts he had replaced for each front wheel: the strut, the strut mount, and a round dark colored part about the width of a suspension spring that might be the spring seat. Are there lower spring seats too? I guess I will have to ask him which parts he replaced.

Reply to
Armchair observer

On 17/7/04 6:57 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Armchair observer" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Ours too!

Culprit. Glove box.

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Reply to
Armchair observer

Reply to
Armchair observer

I had a clunky rattle (front passenger) at lower speeds over bumps. Extremely annoying.

The bushing on the link rod was worn. Now replaced. No more noise. However, the one on the driver side is on its way. I was surprised.the car only has 75,000km. Tie rods were done @ 63,000km...

When did ford get their hands in these things?

Matt

2000 V70
Reply to
Matt