Car dies temporarily 1991 Volvo 740

From time to time, my 1991 Volvo 740 will die temporarily. I will be driving along, and then the engine and all power will simply go off, as if a switch had been thrown. It won't start, won't even turn over (no response at all). After a while, it will start up again and go like nothing's wrong. Immediately afterwards, it has been to a dealership, and to two independent and reputable volvo shops. No one can figure it out. It happens when it's been raining hard, and obviously it's an electrical problem. But the mechanics can't duplicate it, even when soaking the engine intentionally. This first happened a few years ago, but has reoccurred twice this year. Is there anyone out there who is familar with this kind of problem?

Reply to
T. Don TenBrook

I would replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. I had about the same thing happen. 1992 740 wagon. The engine skipped twice while merging into traffic, about 4 miles later the engine turned off as if you reached up and removed the key. The OD light came on and all of the dash gauges went zero all at once. Pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the ignition key, turned back on and the engine starte right up. I replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch that night and have not had any more problems in 2 years. BD

independent

Reply to
BigDick

I have a similar type of problem in that my engine will just cut out without any notice. It is usually when the vehicle is idling but once or twice has happened while going a long steadily in traffic. Scary stuff!

It can go for days without missing a beat then cutout two or three times in a short trip. It will always start again if left for about 30 seconds.

Mechanic kept it for several days and gave it back saying there was a choice of about 3 things that would be the cause. He didnt know which it would be. Each would cost big $s to replace and may not solve the problem.

Any thoughts on this one will be graciously accepted

Thanks muchly

independent

What were they?

I've just had around 3 months of this with a 91/940.

From information I've found on sites :-

When the engine stops when travelling along does the rev counter still show revs?

Mine did and so it was felt there was not an ignition problem.

When I concentrated on the injection side I found that if I removed and shook the FI relay and then replaced it the car restarted immediately. The relay was also often very warm. I could even make the car falter while going along if I touched the relay.

I've changed the relay and it seems better so far. (48Euros)

DC

Reply to
Dave Cotton

Dave, that is the standard fault which causes the symptom you experienced and also the fault with Q's car.

Cheers, Peter.

: > It can go for days without missing a beat then cutout two or three times : > in a short trip. It will always start again if left for about 30 seconds. : >

: > Mechanic kept it for several days and gave it back saying there was a : > choice of about 3 things that would be the cause. : : What were they? : : > He didnt know which it : > would be. Each would cost big $s to replace and may not solve the problem. : >

: > Any thoughts on this one will be graciously accepted : >

: : I've just had around 3 months of this with a 91/940. : : From information I've found on sites :- : : When the engine stops when travelling along does the rev counter still show : revs? : : Mine did and so it was felt there was not an ignition problem. : : When I concentrated on the injection side I found that if I removed and : shook the FI relay and then replaced it the car restarted immediately. : The relay was also often very warm. I could even make the car falter while : going along if I touched the relay. : : I've changed the relay and it seems better so far. (48Euros) : : DC :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Hi Peter,

Thanks for ur answers, since i experience the same troubles on my 940 europe version (2 liters DOHC). But i could not understand what u meant by "the standard fault" . May u explain to me (Sorry for being so ignorant). Plus do you confirm that if i change fuel injection relay I shall be Ok ? As a matter of fact, when all that stuff happens, my lambda sond light stays on for a while, so I was thinking the sond may be out aged too (154 000 km that is nearly 100 000 miles.) and i shall consider replacing it as a necessary move . Thanks . Cheers from sunny Paris.

Vincent

940 gle 16v Paris - France

Peter Milnes a écrit:

Reply to
Vincent

Yes if it's in the same place as the 940s, it's just behind the fuses, there is more room if you remove the cigar lighter as well, there are 2 screws behind its bezel.

Its the back lefthand relay with a white cover.

It really is a few minutes work, no way big bucks.

Fingers crossed my nightmares are over, I used to really worry when my wife was out in the car.

DC

Reply to
Dave Cotton

Left hand relay MIDDLE row.

Cheers, Peter.

: : Yes if it's in the same place as the 940s, it's just behind the fuses, there : is more room if you remove the cigar lighter as well, there are 2 screws : behind its bezel. : : Its the back lefthand relay with a white cover. : : It really is a few minutes work, no way big bucks. : : Fingers crossed my nightmares are over, I used to really worry when my wife : was out in the car. : : DC

Reply to
Peter Milnes

YUP MY WIFES CAR DID THIS several times and a few $$$$$$.Besides the safety peace of mind factor .The ignition was suspect but the "block "was replaced ,the oxygen sensor has just been relaced maybe that it ,as well there were several other matters like the isolation switch on the transmission actually down by the base of the gear lever ,stick or shift lever as you guys call it .It would stop and not run for 20 minutes then act fine for a month .It even seemed to know when we had important appointments as it let us down at serious times like catching an aircraft flight .Good Luck .

Reply to
John Robertson

On my housing the back lefthand corner is cut off, there's no connection behind it. So it's the back one to me :) _________ / | |X | |_________|

But even ascii art is better than a thousand words. X marks the spot. DC

Reply to
Dave Cotton

It is still the middle row as far as the relay rows are concerned. Try not to confuse people with genuine questions by using your interpretation. The guy only wants the correct information that all Volvo owners will understand.

There is a relay position that is not used on your housing. On my housing it is used. That is the only difference. There are still three rows of relays so wise up and don't try to be too smart for yourself, as it makes your well intentioned information null and void.

Cheers, Peter.

: On my housing the back lefthand corner is cut off, there's no connection : behind it. So it's the back one to me :) : _________ : / | : |X | : |_________| : : But even ascii art is better than a thousand words. : X marks the spot. : : DC :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

OK point taken don't try to help because there's always someone who knows better.

Don't bother to answer I just unsubscribed.

Reply to
Dave Cotton