Car not Starting in cold

I have a 1994 Volvo 850, less than 140k. It really has troubles starting in -25c weather and sometimes does not start at all when it is that cold. I got a Block heater installed last year and it seems to do the trick but I am worried about the days when I travel and can not plug the car in. I suggested to my garage (Volvo Dealership) to use 10w30 oil, but they suggested to me that Canada (Ontario) was not cold enough... what do you guys think my troubles may be???

Any input will help. thanks S.

Reply to
sergoll

At that temperature yes you should be using 10w-30 or even thinner- a 0w-30 perhaps.

in what way is it not starting? Cranking too slow it cant start, or just spinning over and not attempting to fire?

Start off by making sure the Battery is in good order and the biggest capacity that will fit, and that HT components are all in 1st class order- plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

It's probably the battery. We only have 550CCA in our 960, and sometimes she turns a little slow when it's really cold, but it does start first crank, no problems. As for checking the cap and rotor arm... Doesn't the 850 engine use electronically controlled coils?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
PlumBob

No, only 99 onwards S/ V 70's use coil on plug ignition. Everything else upto then uses traditional ditrubutor, HT leads, and single coil.