Catalytic Converter Gone?

Hey all -

Have a 2001 S60 2.4T. Recently the check engine light came on, along with a message - Emission Systems Service Required. After a couple of days, the light went out. A few weeks later, back on again... same message. I took it into the service shop and they said the catalytic converter was "reading low" (whatever the heck that means).

The car has 97,000 miles on it, but it seems a little strange that this would be failing so soon. Anyone else have similar experiences? What causes these to fail?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The catalyst can be damaged by impurities in the gas. Have you been using additives? Have you used cheap gasoline with a lot of sulfur? Has the gas/air mixture been too rich?

It won't affect how the car handles. But if you have to pass a state inspection, it may fail.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Often times (check your warranty guide) the "emissions" will have a different length of coverage than all other items on the vehicle. Sometimes it's 100,000 miles. I'm too lazy to go look at my book, it's out in the COLD, in the driveway.

:)

Reply to
Robert

I've been using premium gas. As far as gas/air mixture, I have no idea. It hasn't been messed around with, and I have not received any other error codes from the ECU.

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Really? Which warranty covers it? The car has 97k miles on it, so the standard warranty is expired. If there is another warranty that would cover it - I'd be in a better mood...

Thanks for the info! Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

It figures... I looked in the manual that came with the car. The emissions system has a warranty until 8 years, 80k miles. I missed it. Damn Swedes!

Good thought though... thanks Robert!

Reply to
Charlie

I'd be interested in knowing what a catalytic converter "reading low" meant as well.... Time for a second opinion. The light and warning message indicate a fault is found with by the fuel computer. This sets a definite code, note exactly what the code is, and post back. The closest I can think of is, "P0422, Catalytic convertor, low efficiency", but that code can be caused by vacuum leaks, and a few other things that are much cheaper than the cat.

Reply to
Mike F