Causes for an AMM failure code?

Re: my 89 740 B230 non-turbo Gl sedan that is down: Very hard to start, you have to give it LOTS of gas, it won't idle at all. It dies when you put it in gear:

It has a code set for "air mass meter failed". But I have a bad air duct that really needs replacement. It doesn't have a rigid plastic duct like the turbo has, it is flexible/corrugated. it has gotten soft and was collapsing, and because of the rediculously high price of a new air duct, I wrapped it up with metal tape. The ends of this duct are different sizes...so I couldn't just buy a generic flex

*metal* one off-the-shelf from a local parts dealer. I need to go back out to the car and unwrap the duct and see if maybe it has split or something, which would let unmetered air into the intake. If this was happening, could this trick the computer into thinking that the air mass meter is bad? Seems like this would cause it to set the mixture completely wrong, at the least, right?

Yea, this engine doesn't have a "limp-home" mode in reality, because when the car was working OK, I once pulled the conn. off the AMM, and the engine didn't just run badly--- it wouldn't idle at all, and was undrivable!

Does anyone have a spare used AMM, P/N 281101A? Even if it proves to be just a matter of fixing the duct, I still need to get one to have around for when the AMM really does fail, if it turns out to be in fact good now. The local junkyard doesn't have any89-92 740's.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Geronimo

Bad AMM

Is it the one before or after the AMM? If after, repair it with epoxy for plastic or RTV to see if that is it. If before, it will have virtually no effect on the AMM.

Ya- that will work temporarily. Go to a wrecking yard and get a replacement.

No, I don't think so.

Yes, but wouldn't cause the code. The code states, "Bad or missing signal to or from the AMM."

You might have other problems as well. With the AMM disconnected it sould run- very rish and not over about 3500 RPM.

I think the number you need is the Bosckjh number, like xxx xxx xx 012 or such. Post the number here- maybe someone can find one at a yard for you.

BE SURE to check the air box heat riser control thermostat for proper opreration. IT MUST NOT allow hot air in once the car is warmed up or in a temperate climate. If in doubt- replace it! The hot air will kill a good AMM.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Randy......

I didn't remember exactly what the code said. Come to think of it I think it did state" signal from AMM missing" for that code. So it looks like I need an AMM.

The part number I gave in previous post is correct, that is what this car has installed! It's Bosch # 281101A It's not xx012 or xx016, it is exactly as above.

Thanks!

Reply to
Geronimo

It's the hose.