Change brake pads on 240 - now making noise

OK, it was my first time, I thought it is a pretty straightforward thing to do, but it looks as if there is a very small friction between the pads and the disk when I'm not pressing the brake pedal. At high speed 40+mph I can hear it.

I used white grease between shim and pad. I did like the mechanic, after removing the two pins, I used a pair of plier to push back the old pads in order to create space to insert the new one as they are thicker and wouldn't fit otherwise. I did not remove liquid from the brake system.

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I even removed the wheels a second time to have a look and tried applying some white grease on the pins hoping it would make the sliding of the pads easier.

Reply to
Someone

Anyone?

Reply to
Someone

_____ I assume that you replaced the front pads only. I also assume that you used the Volvo approved special brake pad grease. This stuff has a very high melting point, and does not harm the boots on the brake pistons. If you did not use the approved grease, please consider removing it. The grease reduces the tendency of brakes to squeal. Normally, a pad kit comes with anti-squeal shims. Greasing of the pad's guide pins does very little to help the pads move. What is far more important is to clean the caliper channels the pads sit in. You can clean these channels with a flat screwdriver having a 6-7 mm blade. All rust should be removed. A bit of the special brake pad grease can be used on the metal edges of backing plate where they seat in the caliper. I normally bevel the edges of the pads a bit with a course file. This reduces brake squeal. It takes a few hundred kilometers to wear in the pads. Friction noise should disappear quite soon.

_____ That is not a big issue, but only a problem when the fluid comes over the top of the reservoir.

_____ See my earlier comment re greasing the guide pins. With the wheel removed, you should feel some resistance when you turn the hub by hand, but not very much. Step on the brake pedal to seat the pads, then turn the hub again. Should turn relatively easily. Did the brake pistons push in without difficulties? What year is the 240?

Reply to
jch

Sorry for the late reply. My news server has been a bit spotty.

I replaced my front pads in January and they were squealing to the point that I couldn't stand it! I had my 940 in for minor stuff and told my mechanic (Rick Sevchek - a Volvo god)that I was ready to just change the pads again. This time I would get them from Volvo. He confirmed that I had done the job correctly and then assured me that all I had to do was use a spray that mercedes mechanics use on them. He charged me $12 for a can of something called Squeal X by Castle. I was a bit skeptical. The spray seamed to be nothing more than carbon dust with an alchol liquid carrier. It did NOT effect braking performance (or anything else for that matter). It's been working for months. I still asked Rick What brand of pad to use next time and he suggested "Tech Star". He said they would be a bit dustier but would not squeal.

My two cents.

don b.

Reply to
don b.