change water pump at time of changing timing belt?

I have a '98 v70 glt, recently acquired, and need to change the timing belt. No problems with water pump at this point, so far as I know, but a few service pros have suggested it is better to change the water pump at time of doing the timing belt. The Volvo service people however seem to be saying that Volvo water pumps just don't die, or don't die at this point (72K miles). I'm not anxious to spend a lot to do the water pump later but on the other hand don't want to be foolish and then get stuck with the expense. Do you think that it is a good idea -- or not -- to do the water pump now as a preventive measure anyway? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.......

Reply to
daffy

Standard procedure is to check if its ok and if no wear on the bearings or leaks are spotted its not changed.

Greetings Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

It makes sense to do both jobs at the same time IF the pump shows signs of wear. The work necessary to do the belt is essentially the same as to replace the pump but I would be inclined to wait until the next belt change and do the pump then regardless of what it looks like. But I'm kind of a cautious guy.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Water pumps on the whole last week- certainly past 100k. You may wish to check it carefully and perhaps leave it. Tensioner rollers and idler are much more important- they dont last quite as well.

Personnally, for the exta £60 I always change the lot given that you dont get any 'slack' if the belt comes off / fails on the 5 cyl. It will lunch the engine entirely.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

"daffy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

I changed the pump as well, at the 140K miles service, just to be on the safe side... The old pump didn't show any signs of wear at all, but a new original Volvo pump cost me around $100 ( in Denmark ) and that's a cheap insurance against pump failure if you ask me....

-- Brian Sørup Volvo V70 2,5T Aut.

Reply to
Brian Sørup

Since it is driven from the timing belt and it's failure could cause serious problems elsewhere I would follow common practice and change the pump.

Reply to
Roadie