Check engine light...

All, I have a 1999 S70 with the 2.4 litre normally aspirated engine. Last week the check engine light came on and there was noticeable misfire at most engine speeds. I took the car in to the dealer and the OBDII codes read were 3200 and 3330. The problem was diagnosed as a bad coil on cylinder 4. That coil and all plugs were replaced. So my first question is to anyone who tell me what the codes mean. I scoured the 'net but I believe you need VADIS to interpret them. This past weekend the check engine light came on again but the car is running just fine. (I have had this happen before and the dealer tells me it's the old gas cap problem...) So I'm not too worried but I am wondering if the 5 KM drive to the dealer to get the misfire fixed might have mucked up anything else like the O2 sensors or some other engine management device? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Jordan. 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jabber

One reason a misfire code is registered as an emissions fault is that prolonged leakage of raw fuel into the exhaust will both damage the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter. However 5 km doesn't translate as "prolonged."

Code 3200 relates to an igniton coil and is an information code that never occurs alone.

33X0 relates to a faulty coil where the x denotes the offending cylinder. Fuel trim is disabled. There could be a short to voltage or ground in the signal cable, open signal cable, loose connection(s) in connector or a defective ignition coil.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks so much! The light is still on but I'm not too worried about it. I assume that since the coil on the number 4 cylinder was replaced that the 33X0 codes begin at 0 and work their way to 4 as it's a 5 cylinder.

Thanks again!

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jabber

Check engine light came on every time since about two years ago. Month ago before I was going to replace original gas cap on ?98 S-70, I tried to oil gas cap gasket and it WORKED! It could be that old and dry gas cap gasket leaked.

I spread out one drop of oil all over the gas cap gasket. Q-tip was handy. Then I filled the tank. Few days later, check engine light start to work as supposed to.

Mike

Reply to
Mike