Check Engine Light and no code with S70

Couple months ago I brought my 1998 S70 to a good independent garage that's specialized in European cars (esp. Volvo) due to persistant Check Engine Light.

After being charged $70 for his diagnostic, I was told no code was found. The light was simply reset and a new gas cap installed (they found it leaky).

However, a couple weeks afterward the light came back. It actually went off by itself once but after another couple hundred miles, it came back. Also the light seemed to more often came up (after I reset it with a OBDII reader) when the gas tank was near empty.

I'm afraid of being charged another $70 for nothing- at the garage or dealer.

Anyone knows what's going on? My cheap OBDII reader can't read any code either.

Appreciate any helps!

Ehien

Reply to
whcguard-deja

I had repeated checklight problems on my 2000 S-40. The code said it was a gas cap problem, and the mechanic blamed it on the gas cap not being put on tight. The third time it happened, I was much annoyed, and the service manager suggested trying a new gas cap. He took one out of the parts room, and as he put it on he said it was a slightly different design. It fixed the problem. I suspect Volvo had a reason for the design change.

Reply to
Marvin