Check engine light - need some assistance

'95 850 Turbo

190k miles Check engine light came on Noted occasional hesitation when starting and rough idle when first started. Occurrences were random. Diagnostics port A3 Code: 3-1-5 (EVAP system fault)

I need ideas as to where to start checking and what I need to be looking for

TIA,

Reply to
Steve Sharp

This is a guess. Could something be wrong with the evaporative emission control system? Like the EVAP valve not opening or shutting okay? That kinda ties in with the rough idle when first started, but as I said, it is a complete guess -- so take it with a liberal heap of salt.

Bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net by Steve Sharp dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

Typically the auxiliary air pump has sucked up enough water to cause the motor to seize or destroy the relay or both. When you replace them reroute the intake hose to prevent it from easily sucking in water.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

A3 is ABS. My book doesn't list a code 3-1-5 for ABS, so assuming it's really A2, fuel: The problem can be a clogged charcoal cannister, EVAP hoses or a bad valve. What happens is the EVAP valve is closed, and then when you're at a stable idle at least 17 minutes after the car is started, the EVAP valve is opened up. The computer then looks for some result of the valve opening by monitoring the oxygen sensor. If opening the valve doesn't make any changes to the fuel mixture, then the computer assumes something is wrong and the code is set.

Reply to
Mike F