Checking Engine Coolant Sensor, '89 740

OK, after posting about 2 weeks ago about my 740 running very rich, belching black smoke, etc. I had a suggestion to look at the engine coolant sensor. Found this site

some pretty good info on diagnosing engine coolant sensors. My problemis I don't know where or how to get to terminals 13 and 5 referenced in thesite. Can anybody send me in the right direction? Thanks,

Kirk

Reply to
Kirk Grau

They would be talking about the pin numbers on the connection to the fuel control unit. If you remove the electrical connector from the control unit, then remove the connector's outer shell (you need to cut a wire tie, move a boot and undo a small screw), you'll see pin numbers. Do not probe the front side of the connector, test leads can bend the terminals and then you end up with more problems than you started with. Also, make sure that the info on the brickboard applies to your car, and not some other one with a different fuel system.

Reply to
Mike F

Is this the ECU at the passenger side foot well or is there another controller somewhere? Thanks for the continued help, I need it.

Kirk

> with some pretty good info on diagnosing engine coolant sensors. My problem> > is I don't know where or how to get to terminals 13 and 5 referenced in the> > site. Can anybody send me in the right direction?> >

Reply to
Kirk Grau

Yes, that's where it is. (Also there's an ignition control unit located above the kick panel over the driver's feet.)

Reply to
Mike F