Cheesy Lumbar Adjustment

True to form, the lumbar mechanism on my 4th Volvo in a row just broke. Is it still a few hundred dollars to replace, mostly labor?

Reply to
Volvette

Don't be silly. Repair kits are available from IPD on

atquite a bit less than that and can be installed for free if you know how. Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Reply to
Rob Guenther

My lumbar support also broke. The white plastic screw adjustment (the part that attaches to the knob) broke. I removed the seat cover, be careful the wire clips are sharp when you cut them with side cutters. I removed the lumbar mechanism then with the plastic adjuster screw I removed the pin and replaced it with 2 short machine screws, I then drilled a hole in the broken piece and used a 2" x # 10 machine screw and screwed the pieces back together (add a little super glue to the mating pieces for a stronger fix). I the reinstalled the lumbar mechanism and the seat cover(use plastic ties to replace the wire clips that you had cut). and the total job cost me about

25 cents and about one hours time.

Zyggy 89 745 GL

Reply to
R Zych

Depends how it broke, either way the parts aren't very expensive and sometimes you can improvise, replacement is just a matter of removing the seat, snipping the upholstery clips, roll the fabric up, fix the thing then roll it back down and use wire ties to secure the fabric.

Some people seem to have much worse luck with these, the lumbar support was broken on my 240 when I got it and on my brother's '79, but none of the other Volvos we've had have ever had it break and once repaired none have re broken either.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have had 4 740s or 960s. Everyone has broken. These are power leather seats and are a pain in the butt to pull out or strip.

Reply to
Volvette

I would imagine it would be a pain... But do you know why they break? Is it from adjustments by different people using it, or is it from pressure from the driver leaning his or her back into it over time?

Reply to
Rob Guenther