Chip modify a 945 T

Hi! Considering 'chipping' my 945 Turbo-93. I'm a total newbie but got a few questions: Where's the chip located? Can one download the flash program from the internet and reflash it oneself? Anyone has any experience on this subject? /Nisse

Reply to
Nisse

If you can solder you will have more fun building and tuning this:

Inexpensive and educational.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

The "chip" on this car only controls the fuel mapping, so you won't get much improvement (if any) this way. Just turning up the boost a couple of psi will get you more than any chip, and it's free!

Reply to
Mike F

Try there

Griz

Reply to
Griz

Not having any Turbo experience before, I can confirm this is very easy.

  1. Buy a Boost pressure gauge
  2. Buy or find a small air valve that has a multi turn knob and some tubing that fits the turbo and the valve.
  3. Locate the short tube that joins the turbo inlet side to the waste gate actuator and insert a T piece inline.
  4. Connect the free end of the T piece to the valve and close the valve to have stock boost.
  5. Connect up the boost guage with the T piece supplied to the line that supplies the Volvo boost guage.
  6. Drive the car and check everything is working normally.
  7. Stop and open the valve a little, then check the boost at full throttle
  8. repeat 7 until you achieve the desired boost pressure (11 psi is good on a 2.3 945 for 0-60 in 7s, and Internet reports say this is reliable)
  9. Make sure you've good good tyres and suspension, use Mobil 1 regularily follow good practice warm up and turbo cool down,... and treat accelerator with respect. 97/98 octane fuel is also a good idea o avoid losing torque and having the mgt back the advance off from knocking.

You could avoid buying the boost guage and guess by the Volvo guage, the needle should not reach the 'T' in the Turbo, I think that would put it over

13 psi which is the max I've heard anyone use.

You could go the whole hog and buy a kit from a tuning shop, expect to pay about GBP70 for a 3 terminal Valve with the word Turbo on it, lots of heat resistant tubing and a boost guage with tubing etc. Alternatively you could buy tubing and valve from a pet fish shop for about GBP5, but it won't be heat resistance and maybe last only a few years before hardening, falling off and going full boost which will definately hute your engine, but not instantly.

Make sure you have the full turbo and not the LPT.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony Stanley

The only thing you have to watch for is passing the ability of the fuel injection to deliver fuel. On the older turbos with LH2.2 (up to 1989 models) there is a pressure switch that cuts off the fuel pump if the boost is too high, which will be the first limit you come across. This can be readjusted or bypassed, but if you go beyond the fuel map the mixture will lean out, with potentially disastrous consequences. The later ones with LH2.4 have the overboost function built into the computer, boost is calculated from the load signal and engine rpm. Chipping can add to the top of the fuel map preventing these problems, but you'll need engine modifications before running into these limits. So a fair amount of extra power is basically free, just by adjusting the boost.

Reply to
Mike F

Presumably a 1995 would have LH 2.4. What is it referring to, the ECU?

I had presumed before that the air mass meter would provide the necessary info about the extra air flow.

-- Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Reply to
Tony Stanley

The fuel ECU or computer as I call it has a program built into it. To simplify, this program takes signals from the engine speed sensor and air mass meter. If the ECU determine that at a specific RPM there is too much air flow, then the only logical event that could cause this is too much boost, and it shuts down fuel delivery to stop the engine from blowing up.

This program only goes so far above normal operating parameters before it's effectively "off the scale". For example, there's not too much point in programming for fuel delivery at 30 psi and 10,000 rpm when the maximum boost is set to around 9 psi and maximum engine speed is 6500 rpm. Obviously at some point above the normally encountered parameters (with some safety margin) you're going to go to a point that is not programmed.

Reply to
Mike F