Cleaning Headlight Lenses

My 240 headlight lenses are getting yellow...

How do I clean them up and make them clearer. My brother said to use car wax,,, but that didnt work.. Any Ideas.. Thanks in advance. Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

You don't, the plastic is decomposing from UV and they need to be replaced.

I've seen a place that sells just the lense part aftermarket, you can also get european style glass headlamps which will give you far superior lighting but the cost is higher.

Reply to
James Sweet

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, sprach forth the following:

Meguiar's makes a series of plastic cleaners/polishes.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

People have tried cleaning them, and it works for a while, but it's a lot of work and they re-yellow pretty quickly. I have one new headlight assembly, in pieces for some reason but I think it just needs assembly, that I'll sell you cheap...

Reply to
mjc1

one light or one set of two? joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

Just one. I gave the other one to the guy who bought our 240. I think it's the right one, but would have to check.

Reply to
mjc1

I would be more comfortable purchasing the set together....Thanks anyways.. Joseph in New Mexico

Reply to
jsegura525

I rhandled all of my light fixtures on my 86 240 DL by buying lenses from

Great service, and the car looks brand new! Crystal clear. it's the only way to go. Headlight lenses were $25 each I think. Carter

Reply to
carterbear1

I have successfully cleaned the lenses on my 240 as well as the motor home. be sure that the lens is still sealed to the reflector. If not, remove it and clean the inside thoroughly and polish the plastic. After that, reseal it with clear RTV.

For the plastic, depending on the condition, you can restore them fairly successfully. If badly yellowed you will need a plastic buffing sort of compound. I have made my own using fine abrasive powder and water, but there are some commercially made that are like toothpaste. This will polish off the outer yellowed surface, and although it may not remove all of it, it will improve. Then use McGuire's #17 mirror glaze for plastic, then follow with their Plastic Cleaner or "Back to Black." My 240 lenses look like (almost) new and put more light on the road than my wife's 960!

Speaking of which, she finally drove the 240 for the first time last week (she doesn't have mush experience with stick shift). The next day she asked, "Wanna trade cars?" I told her that if my 240 was missing after she left for work, I would hitch the 960 to the motor home and tow it all the way to were she works... on its ROOF!!! ;-)

trade a 240 for a 960... Indeed!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Cheapest and simplist I have found is "rubbing compound" not polishing compound. Will take off yellowed resin. Have been told that it also takes off UV protective layer but by the time plastic lenses are hazed I imagine it is gone anyway. Final polishing with some type of wax probably wouldn't hurt.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Come to think of it, that IS what I did. When I polished off the fiberglass with my electric car buffer I used the white compound, turned down the speed, and did the headlight lenses as well. About 90% of the yellow came out. Follow with a good plastic cleaner/protectant like the Mcguires product (NOT ARMOR ALL!!!!!) instead of wax as I think it will give better, long-term protection.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

There's one for my (ever leakier) memory files!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee