Clunking sound from stering column on my '95 940?

I'm getting a clunking sound from my steering wheel on my 1995 940 but I can't see anything wrong with it. it happens when I turn regardless of the direction. I haven't gotten into the dash yet to check on brackets being lose.

Has anyone come across this? My old '87 740T had 211,000 miles on it and I never heard this noise or had any problems associated with the steering column...

Any help would be appreciated.

Don B.

Yes. You might have a u-joint in the steering column that lacks lubricant, and is now repeatedly seizing. Try squirting some grease in there for a few days. The problem will go away - it did for my car.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Stock fault caused by incorrect top bearing in steering column. Only cure is to replace it with the correct item. Bit fiddley to DIY.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes