Converting 71 242E to SU's or Weber

Can someone advise if this is possible and/or feasible?

Thanks, Don

Reply to
dondford

Sure it's possible, but what's on there now?

Reply to
James Sweet

James: Thank you for your post. Its a car I'm looking to buy; I was under the impression the "E" meant it was fuel injected. Am I in error?

Reply to
Don Ford

The 242 wasn't around in 1971 surely?

Reply to
David Balfour

Sounds like a '71 *142E*, and "E"= Fuel injected.

Andy I.

| > Thanks, | > Don | | | The 242 wasn't around in 1971 surely? | |

Reply to
brackenburn

Sorry I missed the start of this thread. It certainly IS possible to convert a '71 142 to carburetion. I did it on a '73 142, putting a Weber in in place of a PIA fuel injection system.

To avoid boring the whole group, I would be glad to respond offline. Just email me.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvos since 1973

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Ah, yes you're probably right, I thought "E" meant the high compression version of the motor but perhaps they were all injected even back as far as '71. I'm assuming this is a D-Jet injected 142 then? Is the fuel injection completely shot or what? There's a few things that commonly go wrong with D Jet but once it's working it provides better performance than a carburetor with less fiddling.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
dondford

at least in the US market, the 142E is the D-Jet fuel injected, same as found on the 1800E. The US market also had a carburetted model in '71 for the 140 series, so a conversion to carb is probably not a major PITA. Later

140 series fuel injected switched to the K-Jet system, a little more straight-forward, but a little less performance than D-Jet.

There is plenty of science in the carb vs. FI discussion, plenty of personal preference, and a tad bit too much religion. For my own personal point of view, the SU carbs are easy to understand and overhaul, the D-Jet is mostly about tight injector seals, tight fuel hose pressure and seal clamps, and clean throttle throat and throttle trigger. When in good condition, both systems are pretty reliable and responsive. The B20E engine (for the 1800E and the 142E) is high compression, a few more horsepower (assuming good compression, which is questionable at this age unless the engine was recently overhauled). There is a ton of info on changing from high compression head to less compression on other web boards, including different manifolds and plugs needed to swap to carb.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

oh, hell, Chuck, bore me with the details. Don may enjoy it also.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

James, I believe that with engine designations, "E" originally and simply meant fuel injection. "F" was introduced later as a reduced compression fuel injection (mainly American market) and then "E" meant high compression fuel injection (or unchanged compression- the same "E" engine as before). "A" was single carburettor and "B" was twin carburettor. (One exception was the six cylinder B30A was twin carburettor.)

With the car model suffix, I'm pretty sure "E" meant fuel injection. "S" was for the twin carburettor.

Of course these designations came and went over various model years... remember when 240s were sold as only "DL," "GL," and "GLT" the year before the 700 was introduced?

D Jet fuel injection was in a few early model 240s in some markets. This system was originally available on Chryslers in the 1950s, but wasn't really a big seller. Bosch bought it, made it a little better, and then made some money off of it.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

James, I believe that with engine designations, "E" originally and simply meant fuel injection. "F" was introduced later as a reduced compression fuel injection (mainly American market) and then "E" meant high compression fuel injection (or unchanged compression- the same "E" engine as before). "A" was single carburettor and "B" was twin carburettor. (One exception was the six cylinder B30A was twin carburettor.)

With the car model suffix, I'm pretty sure "E" meant fuel injection. "S" was for the twin carburettor.

Of course these designations came and went over various model years... remember when 240s were sold as only "DL," "GL," and "GLT" the year before the 700 was introduced?

D Jet fuel injection was originally available on Chryslers in the

1950s, but wasn't really a big seller. Bosch bought it, made it a little better, and then made some money off of it.
Reply to
Jim Carriere

I might enjoy it too- I miss my SUs, the most excitement I've got out of Motronic and OBD2 is a fault code when I lost my fuel cap :)

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Yeah, if people find it boring they just don't have to read it. Putting the info out here means it's available to the next guy, assuming he knows how to use groups.google.com.

Also I know IPD used to (still does?) sell kits to do this - 2 manifolds and 2 twin choke sidedraft Webers, or one manifold and a downdraft 2 barrel. However, as a former owner of a '71 142E, I liked the fuel injection, and I'd try to fix it first.

Reply to
Mike F

Lots of these have been converted to webers over the years, but personally I think that is a mistake. The D-jet system does a good job with minimal maint. My '72 ES is still running strong on it's D-jet fuel injection.

On the other hand, I have seen many weber converted cars where the owners have never been able to get the jetting tuned in just right.

YMMV! John

Reply to
John Horner

I would stick with fuel injection. D-Jet isn't so great to find parts for, however it's a good start for something like MegaSquirt (DIY electronic fuel injection). In the long run, you'll probably have a much more enjoyable car to drive if you stay with FI.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda