converting to fuel injection (740)

Hi all,

Does anyone have information/experience with fitting a cylinder head off a 2 litre B200 series engine onto a B230K, a B230 head gasket would keep the piston crown/rings away from the slightly smaller diameter combustion chamber, but; Are the valves smaller? Do the valves have the same 'travel' in the head/ ie, are they the same length, with the same camshaft lift? Would the B200 engine be suitable for fitting a turbo (I have one spare!), without messing around with sodium filled valves? Assuming I fit a turbo how safe is it to NOT use a thicker head gasket, or 2 stacked gaskets (this was recommended to also be for using unleaded fuel to reduce the burn temperature, but I barely trust one gasket, never mind 2 stacked!) Are all the oil/water passages and bolt, studs, stretch bolt holes in the same places as the B230.

Simply put - can just simply install the 2 litre head on my 2.3 litre block?

I ask this because I would like to install the other head due to it being available and having fuel injection ports, I would then fit all the fuel injection bits, and possibly this turbo I've got lying around, is this feasible?

You might be thinking - wouldn't it be simpler to just change the engine block? Probably it would, if I hadn't already changed all the ancillaries on the front of the block to what's normally on a turbo model, plus which I know my block, it's sound (for now :-)).

But would it stay sound if I did what I'm proposing?

I've read that the 2litre FI engine has slightly more HP than my 2.3litre carb engine, but, I installed an auto tranny last year, lost some 'get up and go' power as a result, and, would like to use the even extra power I think I could get from my 2.3 lump, to make my car shift a lot better.

Any and all advise welcome, sorry for asking so much!!! Thanks, Ken Phillips

Reply to
Ken Phillips

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

I *think* this won't work. There's a bunch of wiring and computer differences between a carburetted and a FI engine. It's more than just swapping the head.

I once put a carburetter on a '73 140 which had been FI and it worked well for many years. But I don't believe it's possible to go the other way.

Chuck Fiedler Noth>>

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

It's possible, in fact it shouldn't be *too* difficult, but I'd look into something aftermarket like Megasquirt in this case. It's not a trivial project but it's doable.

Reply to
James Sweet