Cost for radiator replacement

Hi-

I checked the archives, but didn't see a clear answer to this, so...

I have a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT Sedan (automatic). While driving in some hilly terrain today, I got a coolant light and the engine temp shot up. Pop the hood to find coolant leaking from somewhere.

Managed to get it home safely by stopping and replacing coolant frequently. On the way, I stopped at a "radiator"/general service mechanic (since today's Saturday and it was kind of out there, best I could do), and the guy there was able to find a visible crack in the radiator at its coolant tank (not the overflow, but on the radiator itself where the host enters near the diagnostic module).

In other words, I need a new radiator.

The guy I saw quoted me $280 for the radiator and about $125 for labor. His shop isn't really convenient (in fact, there's no way I'm going all the way back there), but is this a reasonable price for the repair?

Can I get away with taking the car to Pep Boys to have them replace it, or do I need a Volvo dealer/mechanic to do it? Speaking of which, any good places to have this work done in Pittsburgh, PA, preferably in the Oakland/Squirrel Hill/Shadyside area? (I had my car at the dealer a couple weeks ago to have the air conditioning fixed...ended up with a new control unit and blower fan, to the tune of $1000+, so I'd rather not put my wallet through their torture again).

Thanks!

Noah

Reply to
lorang

FYI...

Pep Boyz gets $75/hr and hires less skilled techs. The Audi dealer (yeah not an exact comparison, but close) gets $80, and has factory trained techs.

I hate Pep Boyz, when we had little money they were our choice because they gave us a credit card long before we could get a visa/master card. They have so so techs and many of their parts are low priced but wear out quite fast.

I have some money now and only buy oil and batteries at Pep Boyz.

R&R a radiator is easy, I suggest you find a good tech and stick with her/him. This resource might help:

Best luck!

Reply to
Holly

FCP Groton, the internet parts vendor, sells a new replacement radiator for $205.

You are best off to replace it yourself; while you are at it, replace the hoses to the radiator (FCP Groton sells them, too), and what the heck, the thermostat could be replaced to, with the coolant of course.

If you really don't care about saving money and cannot wait a few days for the parts to arrive by mail, take the car to a Radiator Repair Shop and ask for a quote to repair the radiator.

Lots of time radiators can be repaired, usually via soldering them if they are metal.

A repaired radiator should cost less, and still work OK.

Reply to
zencraps

swapping out the radaitor in a 1993 volvo is aprox 4-5 hrs...if you know what you are doing and have done a few in the past....1st time? add 30% more time...(imho)....

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Why would it take so long?

Drain the coolant, detach hoses, undo hold-downs and remove, right?

Reply to
zencraps

I forget all the details (maybe someone on the board has a shop manual w/the steps and time)...i was suprsied at the time required for my 1993

1940t...i thing a lot of the front end needs re-arranging to get to it...i had the same job done at my fav and trusted ind vovlo shop, and it was, like 3 or 4 hundred w/a nice factory (don't use the cheap ebay chineese) volvo radaitor.....good luck, careful w/the cooling system...you don't want to cook a volvo motor....

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Right except there are a few other things in ther way. Raise car, remove under radiator shroud. Drain coolant from radiator petcock. Drain coolant from engine. Disconnect lower radiator hose. Remove radiator holdown bolts. Remove bolts holding condensor or intercooler to radiator. Lower car. Remove cooling fan. Disconnect wiring harness ties so that they can be reused. Remove the radiator shroud and upper radiator hose. Remove feed hose from coolant reservoir. Remove relays and relay rack from top area of radiator. Remove whatever other plastic stuff that is in the way. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines. Bend the retaining clips the minimum amount to slide them rearward over the hose. Pull the radiator upwards out of the lower core support. Install in roughly reverse order. Turn Climate control to full heat. Evacuate cooling system and refill with fresh coolant. If you cannot use this method, refill coolant and run motor until thermostat starts to open and coolant starts to rise in reservoir. Drive car slowly around the block antil coolant light comes on, refill to mark, repeat until all air is purged from system and coolant level remains constant.

Bob

Reply to
User

Noaha...tell us how long it ends up taking..i am interested ...thanx...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I ended up not taking it to Pep Boys based on a bad experience a friend of mine had with this particular one (charging for parts used in a repair at a rate of 2.5 times what they'd charge for the part cash and carry). I took it to Lifetime Automotive Center in Pittsburgh, which was professional, convenient, and reasonable.

They actually had a radiator in stock and were able to finish it in >

Reply to
lorang