Cracked strut mounts

My '90 240 apparently has cracked strut mounts, at least observing the black top of the mounts when the hood is up. What's the safety risk with these things, if any? I've got new mounts on order to have my mechanic put in, but at what point if any should I stop driving the car until this is done?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

You mean the rubber section has cracks? While it's good to replace them, it's not a safety hazard so long as they're relatively intact still. There's a metal piece on top of the strut cartridge that will prevent it from coming apart completely.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, I'm not sure how intact everything is (given the groaning and creaking noises and all), just didn't want to be launching the insert through my hood or anything like that.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Well keep an eye on it, and I certainly wouldn't recommend any Dukes of Hazard style jumps, but otherwise it should be ok for now :)

Reply to
James Sweet

Dang, that was on my to-do list for tonight. Sigh. I should be able to get 'em replaced next week.

Man, this car has been expensive in terms of repairs in the past 18 months. Hopefully I've replaced most of the stuff that'll need to be replaced for a while.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

personally, i'm a "Bullitt" fan. -- life lesson? don't go wheel to wheel w/ me! -- seriously, that rubber bushing is protecting the strut end. next week should be fine. do a good visual inspection. i know the amount of wear that i would find acceptable, none, but i push Myst hard. w/ new rubber there's a certain amount of wear that you won't ever notice.

20 yrs is r & r time for many systems, but she's a Volvo. eventually you will get through this chapter of her life, w/ a car that is worth keeping.
Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

How expensive is expensive? Even the most expensive repairs I've done on mine have been less than a single car payment. It's getting too where the 240 is going from just an old car to more of a retro/classic. I've had several random people compliment me on my 242, despite the somewhat shabby paint. Even had a few girls ooh and ah, which is shocking honestly. I've always loved it but most people didn't seem to see why, at least not before going for a ride.

I've been saying for years that the 240 would be a classic some day. I can't think of many cars from the era that are as recognizable. Love them or hate them, even non-car people can spot the boxy old Swedes from a mile away.

Reply to
James Sweet

LOL. I'm obviously in the "love 'em" camp. I bought my 1990 244 for $3800 with 104000 miles on 10/31/01 and have, in the nearly 9 years since, spent about $7500 on repairs and maintenance. It's up to 211,000 miles on the odometer. A bit over $2000 of that has been in the past 18 months. Not counting the upcoming strut mount replacement (my new SKFs were just delivered today; $119 for the pair shipped from eEuroparts, so I can get 'em replaced next week). Also in the near future is rebuilding or replacing the driver's seat and new tires.

It's still my favorite car ever, which is why I keep fixing it...

Reply to
Tim McNamara

That is my hope!

Reply to