Crackling noise - 1996 850

I'll try this again with better information ....

I have a 1996 850 with 150,000. There is a crackling sort of sound, just loud enough to be heard above the idling motor. The sound comes from directly behind the headlight on the right side of the car from the driver or passenger's perspective. It is a USA car driven on the right side of the road. This crackling/rattling sound will usually happen even if I switch the key into the on position WITHOUT starting the engine. It rattles on for a few minutes and then fades out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
danny2000

How about the right front headlight motor running when it is not supposed to ? Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

The headlight has a MOTOR ?????? For what?

Danny

Glenn wrote:

Reply to
danny2000

The beam alignment. *doh*

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Or the headlight wiper motor, if equipped. Also in that area is the windshield washer pump.

Reply to
Mike F

The right front headlight wiper motor

Reply to