Crankshaft damper pulley came loose!

It is a 89 Volvo 240 GL. Car overheated, had electrical problem, and the power steering quit all at once. Found that the triple-crankshaft pulley (It is called a damper pulley, I think?) that drives all the accessories had come loose from the crankshaft! The engine still runs, but is not turning the crankshaft pully. When it came loose, one of the belts was putting a sideways force on it, so the crankshaft (continuing to turn) wallered out a section of the pulley inner surface (only on one side of its circumference), resulting in the pulley being found sitting on the crankshaft at an angle of about 20 deg. off the straight axis. But suprisingly ( I guess the crankshaft is a harder material?), the crankshaft itself *appears* undamaged. When I removed the loose pulley, it was obvious how this could happen....there is no key or set screw, it was apparently just press-fitted on! Now I am really screwed, as I can't see how I could ever get a new pulley securely press-fitted on when it is right up next to the fan and radiator. And even if I lifted the engine out of the car so that I could really wack it on hard with a mallet, it would still be likely to come loose again. Why is there no square key on the shaft to positively lock it on? Also, there is nothing to set the timing mark at the proper place when the new pulley is installed. Can I maybe buy a pulley for this car that has a set-screw, that secures to a threaded hole drilled into the crankshaft? But then I would have to have the car towed to a garage to have this done, as drilling and tapping a hole in the crankshaft end is probably more than I should try to do myself. Advice? I need to get it fixed very soon. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

The crankshaft pulley does have a notch cut out so it lines up with the crankshaft You have to remove the cooling fan to gain access to perform this repair Yes there is a bolt that holds the pulley in to the crankshaft & if it is not tightened to the correct torque setting it will become loose make sure that the bolt did not Break Off in the crankshaft. If you are unable to find a notch on the crankshaft pulley that is on the car you will have to replace the crankshaft Gear Post back & will Try to help further Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Hi GLenn! I looked at the damper pulley again. As I said there is NO bolt, or even any bolt-hole on it. It would have to be at the bottom of one of the three belt grooves, wouldn't it? (well, that would be for something like a set-screw) There is no way it was ever locked on. The day before this happened, I had replaced the alternator, and I could have gotten the belt more tight than it really should be. I have felt all around the circumference of the front of the crankshaft that the pully was mounted on, and it is smooth like a hardened crankshaft should be, and there is no bolt hole. There is a V-groove in the middle going around its circumference....but not any axial groove such as you would have for a square key. So there is NOTHING to positively secure the new pulley to the shaft. I guess I will go ahead and order a new pulley and go from there. Then I will see what sort of bolt securing device it has. Glenn, this is probably something that is special order from Autozone. Is there some internet co. that can supply one quickly?

Reply to
Jimbo

I think that your pulley is broken. There is an inner part held to the end of the crank with that big bolt in the center. There is a layer of rubber, then the outer part where the belts ride. I think you have the outer half in your hand, the inner half is still on the crankshaft. Go to

(or your favourite online supplier) andlook up the crankshaft pulley for your car and you can see a picture ofwhat you get.

Reply to
Mike F

The pully should be bolted on.

circumference),

press-fitted

Reply to
Rod Gray

Yea, there is an outer part of the pulley bonded to an inner part by rubber. Not a trace of the rubber was left on either part! Once I jacked the car and looked at the crankshaft end from underneath, I could then see that big bolt holding on the inner part. Thanks all. Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

On 23/7/04 12:01 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, "Jimbo" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

This recently happened to my brother in law in his Astron II Mitsubishi. New part was near 400 dollars, wreckers had one for 33. Easy enough job on that though we had to unbolt and lower the motor to get the new pulley on. Next time it happens, could easily be knocked over in 30 minutes, though took us a while longer and we dropped the motor slowly down as we no where near a workshop and had to work on it on uneven ground.

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

BTW, with a 3/8 ratchet and 15/16 deep socket, I was able to get the bolt out and the inner part of the damper pulley off, easily without removing either the fan or radiator. The ratchet was scraping against the fan shroud a little, but it worked.

circumference),

press-fitted

Reply to
Jimbo