Cross-border Volvos on Ebay

In my continuing quest for a non-Folvo Volvo, I had a look at Ebay and was surprised to see how plentiful & inexpensive Volvos are in the US.

Unfortunately, it seems that the ones I'd be interested in buying are all down in the suthin' states .

Does anyone know what's involved in having an American vehicle shipped to Canada and licensed for use in Ontario ?

ie I assume that in addition to shipping costs, I would have to pay GST and PST but would there be some sort of cross-border brokerage fee and duty ?

And what about emissions control equipment ?

Are American-market vehicles made to run dirtier/cleaner/the same as vehicles made for Canada ?

And assuming that Americans have to have their vehicles tested for emissions, are the standards tougher or more lax than Ontario's ?

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

Emission standards are more or less the same, we have different (tougher) standards for bumpers, daytime running lights, child seat anchors and the metric speedo.

There's lots of info on the 'net.

For Transport Canada,

For Canada Customs and Revenue,

Mike F

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

We're thinking of selling our '88 240 for a reasonable price. We live in Upstate NY, near Albany. If you want a car for under well $2k USD, that is about 2/3 of the way to being refurbished, let me know. You'd have to pick it up, though. It has 150k miles, some rust that's been filled with fiberglass-reinforced filler, but not sanded or painted, solid metal radiator, Sony 'X-plod' stereo (with the original tiny speakers). I have new plastic headlights for it that I haven't needed to install. It's been driven gently for 6 years, but is starting to suffer from lack of daily driving - it's our backup car. It uses no oil.

On a related note, there is a roaring sound coming from the front end at highway speed - it just started this weekend. It is road-speed dependent, not engine-speed dependent. Normally I'd diagnose it as tires or wheel bearings, but the car had those all replaced last Fall...Any one here have ideas? Do failing carrier bearings ever sound as if they are in front...?

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

I didn't have to change the speedo on my 760 when I brought it in from Florida in 02. Is this a new law?

RS

Reply to
Rusty