curise control component location question

At the moment all I have is Chilton's (which might as well be "Chitlins"). In the 240, I was wondering where the vacuum servo is located (the diaphragm unit that actually pulls on the throttle)? Is it in the passenger compartment up under the driver's-side knee bolster somewhere (I hope) or is it in the engine compartment like the

960 (where it would be a missing component in my car).

TIA!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

There are several different types of cruise control. The older types (which shouldn't apply to your car) have the servo under the hood. The newer types (should be your type) have the servos under the dash. Remove the knee bolster, follow the vacuum hose from the brake pedal vacuum switch.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

That must apply to the 240's. The '93 960 has it under the hood... I saw the vac line under the hood and it does go through the firewall.

Yesterday I might have found one possible cause of it not operating. I noticed that the clutch pedal has 'slop'- that is, the pedal is not held up all the way like a spring is broken. It might be allowing the pedal to 'hang' down just enough to activate the clutch's cut-off switch for the cruise and keep it from engaging. I have a Bentley repair manual coming for it on Monday, so the investigation will begin then.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Mike F

As it turns out... I was cleaning the car up, going through this and that. I was lubricating the front seat slides, and since I was down there i turned around to look up under the bolster. It was then I noticed that the spring for the clutch pedal was either weak or misadjusted because the clutch pedal is sloppy- having some sloppy free play.. Hmmm....

So when on the road today I held the pedal up with my left foot and engaged the cruise, and it worked perfectly, disengaging as soon s I released the pedal to it's abnormal, at-rest position! :-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

What my first sentence should have read: "There are several different types of cruise control **on 240s**."

Reply to
Mike F

As you read in this thread, I found that it works fin except for the "floppy" clutch pedal that was disengaging the cruise function 100% of the time. But I think I found the solution! I adjusted the clutch. With the proper clearance at the tranny as specified in the shop manual the pedal now is held at the top of its travel and I can hear the switch disengage and reengage when pressing and releasing the pedal. Haven't driven it for as test yet, but I think it is now OK. Will comment on the previous shop's maintenance after a test ride. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.