Current Audio Systems xc70, etc.

Greetings,

The optional (HU-803?) audio system is offered as a (~us$1,650) option on the 2004 xc70. It is unclear what you get for this money. Reading posts via Google shows that it is worth being careful about the choice as there is apparently big differences in capability and pleasure between the current models. Can anyone confirm what is included in the optional kits? (I am NOT interested in boom-boom loudness!).

Central speaker (can one be simply added to the standard unit?).

Dolby Surround Sound

4 cd headset . . are there other advantages to the headset? Better radio reception perhaps?

Four dual cone door speakers that replace the standard ones?

Neither std nor HU-803 unit has an external amp?

What happens to the standard unit when the upgraded one is added by a dealer?

Is their a cheaper way to get the better audio quality, perhaps as a spare part/kit/exchange?

Any links that detail these things accurately?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards,

Jim Kelly

Reply to
Jim Kelly

Hi,

Anyone any ideas on how to improve the sound of the standard (single CD) HU-613 audio system??

Any help much appreciated.

[...]

Greetings!

We have just ordered :-) an XC70 with the standard HU-613 (single CD) audio. We had hoped to get one with the upgraded HU-803 ProLogic audio system that some of you rave about but that meant waiting four months for a factory fitted vehicle! The standard unit sounded reasonable, and I guess a single CD system will prove to be reliable, but if some simple mods are worth doing let's do it now (we tend to keep our Volvos for a long time).

Has anyone any ideas on how to improve the sound of the standard (single CD) HU-613 audio system?? I guess such ideas would suit many Volvo models? Any help much appreciated by us.

EG:

Better door speakers to replace the standard ones?

Any point adding a central speaker? The grill is there. Wiring?

CD auto-changers . . Which ones can we plug in?

Better radio reception perhaps? I have heard that there is an antenna in the rear bumper called a "diversity" antenna, and needs an optional amplifier to make it work. Perhaps someone here has more info?

Any web links that detail these things accurately?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards,

Jim Kelly

(2004 XC70)