CVT transmission

Hi, I have just purchased a Volvo 440 SE, with CVT transmission, which seems to work ok, but the revs never go above about 2500 rpm, when I accelerate hard, and when I'm driving at about 60 mph, and accelerate hard there is very little change, and no equivalent to "kick down", is this normal for CVT's?. Also is the "L" position just for low speeds?.

Reply to
shane

Rob Guenther

How interesting! I didn't know that Volvo still used the CVT transmission in the 4 series. From my recollection, the old DAF/Volvo 66 didn't have a "L" position, but I would assume that is for low speeds. However, what you describe - no rapid response to acceleration, and no "kick down" is normal for CVT's.

Do you know if the CVT used in the 440 SE is based on the same principle as the CVT used in the DAF 66 and Volvo 3 series of late '70s?

Thanks, Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Exactly right. However because of the way the DAF CVT works, which was used in the DAF/Volvo 66 (don't know about the Volvo 440 SE), when you accelerate, rpms transiently go high, until the CVT responds. This seems to be true of CVTs in general based on this page ...

Bev A. Kupf

The Volvo 66 series used a different kind of CVT, it used rubber bands. The where first used in the Dafodil beginning of the 60-ties. The newer version used in the 440 and Fiat Uno (and other I suppose) work with a chain of metal segments instead of rubber. The basics however are quite the same as far as I know. The metal segements are carefully sellected together in the factory to ensure the maximum amount of reliability. I once saw a documentary some 12 years ago. It seems that is the best kind of automatic transmission there is, but productions costs are slightly higher than a conventional type. In the beginning CVT was only possible for cars with rather small engines, dunno if that has changed.

In the beginning of the eighties we had backward races for cars with CVT, the run as fast backwards as the do forewards!

BR

Martijn

Reply to
Martijn

No, when you accelerate even moderately hard the revs should rise up quite high, under kickdown the CVT should allow the engine to rev to maximum power- ~5200rpm and stay there whilst the car "catches up". Sounds like you have a problem.

L is for slow speeds and for maintaining engine braking going downhill- it holds a lower gear.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Don't forget that DAF built a Formula 3 race car which was not allowed to compete as it had an unfair disadvantage. The CVT allowed it to accelerate faster than a Ferrari!!

Cheers, Peter.

[...]

: > Thanks, : > Beverly : > -- : > Bev A. Kupf : > "The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne" -- Chaucer : : : --- : Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. : Checked by AVG anti-virus system

Peter Milnes

Does this apply to the CVT fitted to the 440, or earlier versions of CVT? I believe the 440 CVT uses steel segments instead of rubber bands, as fitted to earlier vehicles.

Reply to
shane

Yes it does use a steel belt, but that does not affect the way in which it works. The engine should still reach max RPM during full acceloration.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.