Dash & Shifter lights not working after radio install

Hey all.. new to the groups but been reading up on them for a while. I've got a problem I can't find a solution for, but it may be an easy one to figure out for you guys.

My car is a 1992 Volvo 240 Sedan.

A few days ago a friend and I took out the factory radio and installed a cdplayer in the dash. We didnt use an adapter, but instead we cut the wires and wired them correctly (99% sure) to the wiring on the cdplayer. We also took out the factory speakers and put some other ones in, and replaced the wiring. We only replaced the front two and have left the rear speakers alone until we feel like it. We had to trail the new wire under the dash and under the glovebox and pull it tight so it wouldnt hang down and catch our feet or anything. Fine.. great.. right?

No.. and yes. Everything on the cdplayer works fine along with the two speakers we replaced. Thing is, now, neither the dash lights (just the lamps that illuminate the dash so I can see what speed and such I'm going at night) nor the shifter lights (P, R, etc, the little letters that light up) do not work. All of the warning lights and everything else works fine. Headlights work fine. It's just those two things. I've tried adjusting the dimmer on the lamps for the dash, but it doesn't do anything.

Is it possible that I've knocked out a ground wire or some other kind of wire behind the dash from pulling the wires up tight behind it? Or something electrical? Those are really the only two things I could think of.. And it might be a waste to take the entire dash out for no reason and that not be the problem.

If anybody has any suggestions or has had the same problem as me in the past, please help me out..

Also, suggestions for new speaker mounts for my model would be helpful. As of now, I've just got the two speakers sitting in the holes where the old volvo speaker mounts used to be, with some tape holding them in place. :(

Kenneth

Reply to
Kenneth Whelan

Have you tried checking the fuses? Its possible you may have shorted a wire when doing the rewiring or perhaps have a crossed feed somewhere... A blown fuse will indicate if something isn't quite right...

AB

Reply to
AB

Yeah.. I forgot to mention that in my original post.. I've checked the fuses.. they're all ok. The ones pertaining to the dash lights also go to my reverse signal lights, and the reverse signal lights work.. So it's definitely not a blown fuse.. I replaced it with a new one anyways to check.. but that isn't it.. :/

Kenneth

Reply to
Kenneth Whelan

Ok then... what happens if you disconnect the radio (just disconnect the plug at the back of it)? Do the lights work now? If so you have something crosswired somewhere. If not then maybe there is a problem in your 'custom' wiring.....

Reply to
AB

Yeah, I tried that also.. No worky :/

Reply to
Kenneth Whelan

on your original radio there should be a yellow wire for the radio panel lights if this is not connected this might cause your complaint

Reply to
G Klein